Men’s soccer ranked #21 in the NCAA

After this weekend, the Wildcats are through three games of their four-game road trip. They started off the road trip with a win at Providence and traveled to upstate New York this past weekend to face Colgate and Syracuse. 

Game one against Colgate took place on Friday, Sept. 6 in Hamilton, NY. Neither the Wildcats nor their opponent could put a ball in the back of the net in this matchup. This game ended in a 0-0 draw after double overtime.  

UNH totaled 11 shots while only getting four on-goal, and Colgate totaled eight while only getting two on-goal. On top of the lack of offense, this game was full of fouls. UNH had 18 fouls and Colgate contributed 16 for a total of 34 fouls. The Wildcats have yet to exact their revenge on Colgate who eliminated them from the NCAA Tournament last year in the first round; that was UNH’s only loss at Wildcat Stadium all year. 

Game two was played in Syracuse, NY against the Syracuse Orange. Syracuse got out to an early lead scoring two goals in the 4th and 29th minutes. It wasn’t until the 71st minute that first-year midfielder Bilal Kamal scored the first goal of the evening for the Wildcats. 15 minutes later in the 86th minute, senior forward Donnett Sackie tied the game on a header for his second goal of the season. 

After two overtime periods, neither team could score the winning goal as UNH tied in their second consecutive game. UNH is now #21 in the country following the most recent coaches poll.  

Up next UNH travels down to Fairfield, Connecticut and will matchup against the Stags of Fairfield University on Saturday at 7 p.m.. Fairfield had a great season last year going 11-5-2. This year they are 1-0-2 and are looking to avoid their first loss of 2019. This is the fourth and final game of UNH’s road trip to begin the year. After this game, they play two in a row at home against Dartmouth and Marist on September 18th and 21st.