Men’s and Women’s XC prepares for 2019 season

After finishing in sixth place at last year’s America East Championship meet, the Men’s Cross-Country team will look to improve in 2019 by building on that feat. The key will be building on the individual success last season, of which there were plenty.  

The ‘Cats graduated eight seniors last year, a few of whom scored important points for the team. In their wake is an opportunity for returning runners to take their place. Amongst the returning runners, there were 21 new personal records (PR) set among the team in 2018.  

Juniors Dylan McLaughlin, Aidan Sullivan and James Wilkes all set new personal bests in the 5k, 8k and 10k races last season. They were the only ones to PR in all three races. Ten runners set new bests in the 5k along with eight of them setting new bests in the 8k. They will all be expected to continue improving on their times this season.  

Senior Nicolas Sevilla-Connelly led returning runners by placing in all six meets he appeared in, totaling 534 points for the team. Sevilla-Connelly will be expected to continue leading the wildcats to success this season.  

There are plenty of reasons for optimism going into the 2019 season as the team looks to keep improving and place higher than before. The 2019 Men’s season starts on August 31 against a solid Providence College squad at College Woods in Durham, NH. This season will feature three invitational meets as well as championships for New England, America East NCAA and NCAA Regional. The signs are pointing towards an exciting year for the Men’s Cross-Country team. 

Much like the men’s team, UNH Women’s Cross Country also finished sixth place at the 2018 America East Championship meet. 

With only a mere three seniors graduating from last year’s squad, the team’s core will mostly remain intact. They have plenty of personal success to build on with 11 runners setting new personal bests in at least one race. Five of them set new bests in the 3k, 5k and 6k.  

A key to success would be for the team to keep improving individual times. Senior Meg Champagne and sophomore Kira Nolan led all returning runners by placing in six races last season. Champagne finished in the top ten on four separate occasions last season to total 193 points for the team. The ‘Cats will need that success to carry over into 2019.  

The UNH Women’s Cross-Country team kicks off their 2019 season on August 31 against Providence at College Woods. They will also be going to the three invitational meets as well as the same championship meets.