Track & Field athlete of the year

Junior thrower Zach Astle has been a force all season long for the Wildcats. The Kearsarge Regional High School product has had a dominant junior year, including 14 different first-place finishes and three new personal records. 

Astle has competed in the shot put 13 times in the indoor and outdoor seasons combined, and of those 13 meets, the junior took home first-place eight different times. Along with those, he had a third, fifth, and seventh place finish in the event. Astle broke his personal record in the shot put at the 2019 UNH season opener on April 6, when he threw 55’ 10.5”. 

In the eight times that he competed in the weight throw this year, the junior came out on top six different times, and never finished below second-place in his other attempts. His personal record of 64’ 1” came at the IC4A/ECAC Indoor Championships on the weekend of March 1. 

Despite only competing in the hammer throw once this year, Astle finished in fifth and took home yet another personal best. The new record of 160’ 4” also came at the 2019 UNH season opener. 

The thrower was also featured in the discus throw this season, where two second-place finishes, a fifth, and a seventh-place finish were among his best in the event. 

Astle has been dominant in his junior campaign but look for him to improve upon his body of work late in the year, and continuing into his senior year, as he likes to go by the saying, “I’m happy, but I’m never satisfied.”