First year students eligible for new scholarship in 2019

In fall 2019, incoming first-year University of New Hampshire students participating in the New Hampshire 4-H Program will be eligible to receive a scholarship for $500 for each year they took part in the program, totaling $5,000 in annual scholarships.
The 4-H Program is a community of 100 public universities across the United States that provides them with leadership skills students can use out in the world beyond senior year. The program, a research-based experience that includes a mentor, a hands-on project, and a leadership opportunity, is most well-known for its connections to agriculture, leadership, healthy living and science.
“It reaches almost six million young people through our community of 100 public universities,” the official 4-H website reads. “Programs are delivered by 3,500 4‑H professionals and 500,000 volunteers. Young people experience 4‑H through school and community clubs, in-school and after-school programs and 4‑H camps.”
First-year students starting in the upcoming fall semester who have participated in the 4-H Program are eligible to receive this annual scholarship. According to an Oct. 28 Foster’s Daily Democrat article, UNH President James W. Dean, Jr., said the scholarship is a perfect match between the university and the 4-H Program, which has been its largest and oldest youth development program for more than a century.
In a UNH press release, students considered for the new scholarship must both complete a program year (Sept. 1 – Aug. 31) in the NH 4-H Program and participate as a member of the New Hampshire chapter.
UNH Extension website’s press release states that the award is “based on years of active participation in New Hampshire 4-H. For students who receive need-based financial aid, the UNH 4-H Scholarship award will be part of their institutional financial aid award. The UNH 4-H Scholarship award will not be in addition to any need-based or merit-based award they are already receiving from UNH.”
Students seeking more information regarding the 4-H Program can log on to 4-h.org or to the UNH Extension website – extension.unh.edu – and search for the Rockingham County Office.