Former Wildcat Josh Bauer selected 31st overall in 2021 MLS SuperDraft

Former UNH men’s soccer standout Josh Bauer was selected 31st overall to the Atlanta United FC in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft on Thursday afternoon. Bauer was the fourth pick in the second round after Atlanta United dealt the fifth and 32nd overall picks to D.C. United in exchange for the 31st selection and $125,000. 

Bauer expressed his gratitude and joy with Seacoastonline.com after hearing his name called and says that he’s excited to get started. 

“I’ve been working so hard for this moment and to hear my name called is a dream come true,” Bauer said. “I look forward to competing and making the most out of the opportunity I’m given. I am most excited about getting a chance to compete at the highest level of United States soccer. To be able to play the game I love this long has already been a blessing, and to continue my career in the MLS makes it even more special.”  

UNH men’s soccer head coach Marc Hubbard had nothing but praise for his former star after seeing the news. He mentioned the qualities that made Bauer so successful in Durham and the type of player that Atlanta United drafted with their second-round pick. 

“We are very proud of Josh and his development in our program,” Hubbard said. “From representing his home state to helping us win conference championships in the most successful three-year period in program history, we know Josh is ready for this opportunity. We are all very excited to track his progress and Atlanta United FC is not only getting a great player but a person of high character and work rate. He has definitely left the jersey in a much better place than when he had arrived. Best of luck and continue to make New Hampshire proud!” 

During his tenure with UNH, Bauer filled out his resume nicely being named as a first team All-American (2019), second team All-American (2018), Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) and America East defender of the year (2018, 2019), America East Tournament MVP (2018, 2019) and a first team Scholar All-American (2019). Along with all of this, he was the first player in school history to be a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy – given to the most outstanding player in college soccer. 

In his three seasons with UNH, Bauer scored 10 goals, tallied 10 assists and played in 60 games with the team going 40-10-10 (.750 winning percentage). Bauer helped the team to back-to-back America East Championships and three straight NCAA Tournament berths. 

Most recently he signed a contract with the United Soccer League as a member of Birmingham Legion where he appeared in three games. 

Bauer joins Chris Wingate as the only other Wildcat to be drafted into the MLS. Wingate was selected 54th overall in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft to New York City FC. 

Photo courtesy of Gil Talbot