5 things to do in… Dover

1. Thirsty Moose Tap House

The Thirsty Moose Tap House is a restaurant that has a little something for everyone, while simultaneously being a perfect place to bring a beer snob. There’s a lively atmosphere and they seem to always play bangers on the speakers ranging from classic rock to early 2000s hits. Most days they have a different special: Monday night features “$10 Burger and a Beer night,” Tuesday hosts trivia at 8 p.m. with all-day happy hour, “Thirsty Thursdays” feature varying breweries with free samples & giveaways and “Sunday Funday” offers service industry workers half-off their food and drinks. For beer drinkers, there is an extensive list. To help guests pick out one drink from what seems like an endless menu, they feature beers of the month and they have a “Kick the Keg” promotion that features a $3 pint from a certain keg and whoever gets the last drink from the keg gets a free drink.  For those who don’t drink, there are still numerous options to choose from when it comes to food; chicken tenders, burgers, giant pretzels, fried pickles, mac and cheese and so much more. On weekends, the Thirsty Moose also has live music for guests to enjoy while they eat and drink.  

The Thirsty Moose is located at 83 Washington St. in downtown Dover. 

2. Bellamy River Wildlife Sanctuary 

Even though cold weather is creeping up on us, some students love to spend as much time as they can outside. A perfect place for this in Dover is the Bellamy River Wildlife Sanctuary. This park contains various land types, types of vegetation and wildlife habitats. Some of the natural features include the riverside shoreline, tidal creeks, salt and freshwater wetlands, second-growth woodlands and fields with both a recent streak of agriculture and a more historic past. The park also has two ponds with earthen dams. There are trails for students to hike, cross-country ski and watch the local wildlife. The wildlife sanctuary is also the largest New England protected cottontail habitat in New Hampshire, so cottontail rabbits, which are classified as vulnerable, can be seen in abundance. Other animals students may see along the way including deer, waterfowl, pheasants and more.  

The Bellamy River Wildlife Sanctuary is located on Old Garrison Road.  

3. Tendercrop Farm 

Tendercrop Farm is perfect for students who love farmers’ markets. The grocery store grows everything themselves, and this philosophy applies to their fruits, vegetables and meat. For college students who want to eat local but don’t want to cook, Tendercrop Farm also has prepared foods, such as soups, wraps and salads. On top of being a grocery store, the farm hosts events for the community. Their October events include a corn maze and costume contest on Oct. 26. The corn maze is $8 per person and the costume contest, which will also include hayrides, free caramel apples, prizes and a farm-style barbeque, will be $5 per person. Tendercrop Farm also has other locally made items such as Plum Island Soap Company, Salem’s Old Fashioned Candies, Kimball’s jams & jellies and more. 

Tendercrop Farm is located at 123 Dover Point Road, along with additional locations in Newbury and Wenham, Massachusetts. A list of what is grown certain days can be found at tendercropfarm.com. 

4. Woodman Institute Museum 

For students who are interested in history, the Woodman Institute Museum features natural science, local history and art. The museum’s lot has four buildings and houses, each holding different exhibits. The Woodman House, originally built in 1818, houses the museum’s collection of rocks, minerals, fossils and taxidermy animals, fish, birds and butterflies. The Damm Garrison House, built in 1675 (and is the oldest house in Dover), and The John Parker Hale House, built in 1813, each have artifacts relating to Dover’s rich history. The artifacts go all the way back to the colonial era and the 19th century. Lastly, The Keefe House, built in 1825, contains the museum’s library with a collection of Dover city records, the Thom Hindle Art Gallery and the museum offices.  

Admission is $13 for adults and $9 for active military and college students. The Woodman Institute Museum is located at 182 Central Ave.  

5. Flight Coffee Co. 

Flight Coffee Co. is a coffee shop in downtown Dover, which is perfect for any professor or student to hang out and do homework while sipping a variety of teas, coffees and espresso. There are also snacks and baked goods including donuts, muffins, bagels and bread. If you’re looking for more of a meal, there are sandwiches, soups, salads and grilled cheese on the menu. There are dairy-free and vegan options for those with dietary restrictions. Even for people who don’t have work to catch up on but just want to hang out, Flight offers books and board games to use while you relax on the couches. Every weekend they host live music that ranges from rock to swing dancing. On the first Friday of every month, Flight hosts an open mic night from 7 to 9 p.m. with signups starting at 6:30 p.m.  

Flight is open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is located at 478 Central Ave.