Football to open season at Holy Cross

Just a few Saturdays away from their season opener at Holy Cross on September 7, the Wildcats are preparing for their annual Blue-White scrimmage on August 25. Amongst these preparations include finding a replacement for Trevor Knight at quarterback. 

Redshirt freshman Bret Edwards, freshman Max Brosmer, and sophomore Tommy Herion headline the candidates to replace Knight. Herion being the only with in-game experience, appearing in seven games last season. Brosmer and Edwards, however, took the majority of the snaps in the Wildcats spring Blue-White scrimmage. Brosmer completed 12 of 19 passes, throwing for 151 yards with two touchdowns in the scrimmage. While Edwards connected on eight passes over 14 attempts, tallying 48 yards, and found the endzone once. 

A player to keep an eye on this fall is senior wide receiver Malik Love. Love – who missed most of 2018 with a hamstring injury – has high expectations for his senior season. The wideout was second on the team in receiving yards in his freshman and sophomore campaigns. Love will certainly be of help to his young quarterbacks if he can return to his previous form. In the spring game he pulled down three receptions, totaling 56 yards and one touchdown. He also had the longest catch of the day of 48 yards. 

Perhaps the two most important players on the offense are the running backs: Sophomore Carlos Washington Jr., and senior Evan Gray. Washington led the team in rushing in 2018 with Gray right behind him. Gray also led the team in 2017 before Washington burst onto the scene. 

The team relied heavily on the run last season, as well as the spring game. UNH scored 12 touchdowns on the ground last season. In May’s Blue-White game, the defense was treated to a heavy dose of Gray and Washington. The duo combined for 177 yards, while Washington averaged 20.4 yards per carry. 

On the heels on a disappointing 2018 season, the Wildcats have their fair share of hurdles ahead of them. Integrating a young quarterback will be at the forefront, but there should be some clarity from the Blue-White game as to who Coach McDonnell will name as the starter.