The lowdown on the Seacoast art scene

Visit these local arts scene venues throughout the upcoming school year for student discounts, open mics and much more! 

The Freedom Cafe 

The Freedom Cafe is a non-profit organization based in the basement of the Lighthouse building on 10 Mill Rd. just off campus located near Hannaford and Holloway Commons. It is a cozy spot that is perfect for doing homework, socializing with friends and enjoying a selection of ethically-sourced teas, coffees, baked goods and more. All proceeds go toward raising awareness and action to end human trafficking and the commercial exploitation of all people.   

The Freedom Cafe hosts “Perform for Freedom,” an open mic event where students and community members are encouraged to offer their talent and insight in a safe space. Perform for Freedom happens every Wednesday night from September to May, and once per month on Fridays specifically for high school students.   

All open mic slots are first come first serve; however, if any performer is interested in securing an opening spot for a 30-minute set prior to the start of the open mic, they may email [email protected]

The Stone Church 

The Stone Church is a restaurant, bar and historic music venue located just down the road from campus in Newmarket. The Stone Church was first built in 1832 and has been used as a Universalist Meeting House, Unitarian Meeting House, a Catholic Church, a school to teach childen French, a roller-skating rink, playhouse, VFW hall and eventually in 1970, the coffee-bar-restaurant-concert house it stands as today. Although it closed down in the early 2000s for a handful of years, the Stone Church remains a popular spot for UNH students to frequent to watch student bands perform, show their talents at open mics or to just grab a drink with friends. 

Every Sunday night from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., the Stone Church hosts their weekly open mic ran by Dave Ogden where they encourage musicians of every age, kind and creed to come and show their stuff. They regularly have concerts and events on Friday and Saturday nights and are open seven days a week, 4 p.m. to midnight. 

Crackskull’s Coffee and Books 

Crackskull’s Coffee and Books is only four miles from Main Street and is a used bookstore and cafe in downtown Newmarket. Selling used books and records, Crackskull’s has a homey feel, with warmly-aged furniture and an extensive selection of cafe beverages. They’re open Monday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Friday 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.. They hold monthly Prose, Poetry and Popsicle nights on the first Tuesday of every month from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. where they invite local writers to come and read aloud their work for constructive feedback in front of a live audience. They also hold Prose, Poetry and Popsicles for Pipsqueaks on the last Saturday of every month from noon to 1 p.m. for younger writers not quite ready for the evening open mic, but still looking to share their work. 

Museum of Science 

Keep an eye out for the Boston Museum of Science month of College Fridays throughout September. If equipped with a valid college ID, students will be able to explore Exhibit Halls for free. Exhibit Halls include the Theater of Electricity, Live Animal Presentations and Boston Duck Tours.   

Students are able to walk among the free-flying butterflies in a warm conservatory filled with exotic plants, catch a show in the Charles Hayden Planetarium, such as “The Bowie Experience” or “Laser Floyd: The Wall” or watch an IMAX Film such as “Great Barrier Reef” or “Great Bear Rainforest” all for only $6 a person!   

The Amtrak station can bring students right from the UNH Campus to the heart of Boston, so be sure to check out College Fridays at the Boston Museum of Science.