Three ‘Cats score in double – figures to lead UNH past Terriers

The Wildcats continue their winning streak, extending the mark to three games after a win over Boston University. In a close battle, the visiting ‘Cats outlasted BU in a 59-51 victory.

UNH has now improved its record to 4-2 despite a 1-2 road record. The ‘Cats took down Bryant University 62-60 and Wagner College 73-40 to start their winning streak.

Three players were in double-figures Monday night against the Terriers as UNH rallied from a 16-9 first-quarter deficit.

Juniors Brittani Lai and Kat Fogarty led the team in scoring, notching 19 and 15 points respectively. Lai played all 40 minutes in the game and both hit all six of their free throws.

The transfers, Lai and Fogarty have been surpassing all previous expectations as Lai has established herself as the floor general and has been the leading scorer in several games this season. Fogarty’s soft touch around the basket compliments the calm and collected guard play of Lai.

“The play of [Lai] and [Fogarty] hasn’t really surprised us,” head coach Maureen Magarity said. “I’m so happy for them, they have worked so hard in the off season and it’s very rewarding to see them both playing so well. I have put a lot of pressure on both of them and expecting a lot from them right off the bat.”

Junior Carlie Pogue had 13 points and eight rebounds and Junior Aliza Simpson added seven points, six rebounds, and four assists.

Despite starting the game on the wrong end of a 10-0 run, the Wildcats nailed 13 out of their final 15 free throws to seal the victory in the fourth quarter.

The balanced attack has been a question for UNH in the early games this season. The presence of Pogue and Fogarty down low has allowed guards to get more involved and this winning streak has shown the first glimpse of a balanced offense.

CHINA WONG/ STAFF Carlie Pogue scored 13 points and grabbed a team-high eight rebounds in the 59-51 win.
CHINA WONG/ STAFF
Carlie Pogue scored 13 points and grabbed a team-high eight rebounds in the 59-51 win.

“I think the reason for the recent success has been a balanced scoring attack.  We have had at least three people in double figures the past two games,” Magarity said.

Although the ‘Cats are in a bit of a rhythm winning their last three games, the team’s identity is still in the air.

“I think we are still figuring out who we are, still early in the season.  I think we have found we are capable of being a dangerous offensive team,” Magarity said. With a lot of different weapons and in spurts, we have played some really tough defense,” Magarity said.

Although the ‘Cats haven’t had much to fix, the teams depth has begun to be a question mark. The starters have been playing most if not all the minutes in games which will come back to hurt the ‘Cats later in the season and against teams with a great bench.

“We had some great contributions in the Wagner game and I’m hoping to get more of that going forward.  The starters are playing very high minutes right now, and it would be great to get some sparks off the bench,” Magarity said.

The Wildcats face another Boston area team Thursday, Dec. 1, as they travel to Northeastern University for a 7 p.m. game.