Farewell Column: Let's make it Clare

wrote this farewell column while on the Amtrak Train to Boston. I was on my way to the Sports and Entertainment Career Fair at Fenway Park and I had no idea how to start this column. I must have written about four or five sappy/retrospective introductions, but all seemed cheesy and I scrapped all of them. I was too anxious to think coherently because I was officially about to start my career in sports and a career for the rest of my life.

Then I began to think, I have no idea where I’m going and I’m scared that I’ll end up lost on the way to Boston like my career post UNH. Like most soon-to-be college graduates, there is a good amount of fear and uncertainty after graduation. Will I find a job? How am I going to pay off my debts? How long will I live off my parents? Will I get married? That was racing through my mind, but I began to think about where I came from and I felt at ease.

Believe it or not, I wasn’t always a journalist and involved with TNH and WUNH. I was in the health major aspiring to be an athletic trainer. I have always loved sports and wanted to be involved in the field somehow. What better way of doing that than being on the field with the athletes.  That was a mistake. I hated the major, I hated the work, I hated the teachers and I hated that this was going to be my life. I became depressed and thought about dropping out because I had nowhere to go and had no idea where to turn.

However, my mother convinced me to stick it through and suggested writing. I was hesitant at first, but I mustered up the courage to walk into the TNH newsroom on contributor’s night and then I started clocking in my hours at WUNH. Soon, I was doing what I wanted to do since I was a kid; talking and writing about sports. I am more confident now than from where I started and I don’t know where I’d be if it weren’t for TNH, WUNH and the people I have met. I’m thankful for that. However, I know this isn’t the end of my trip and I have a long road ahead. I have no idea where I am going and I’m afraid I will get lost along the way, but I’m confident I will find my destination. As for the debt, all donations are welcome to the “Get Daniel Clare out of Debt” fund.