Thumbs up to…

Allison Bellucci, Executive Editor

On Feb. 19, the Union Leader published an editorial about UNH President Mark Huddleston after a student asked about his “bonus” during the UNH Open Forum. Huddleston answered, “Let me try it once more, and I’ll do it slowly. I did not receive a bonus,” and in the next line, the Union Leader editorial stated “yes, he did,” and no, he didn’t.

The editorial then went on to explain the six-figure payment of $107,800 that Huddleston received in addition to his $405,000 salary. This incentive, set by the University System of New Hampshire Board of Trustees, is a performance-based reward which Huddleston only receives if these certain performance standards are met. This is not a free bonus where Huddleston can just sit around all day and make a little over $500,000.

Since April 2007, when President Huddleston was appointed to the position, there have been numerous improvements to the university, regardless of the massive cuts in state support and a national recession. To name a few, the Peter T. Paul School of Business and Economics was built, the Carsey School of Public Policy opened, UNH Manchester largely expanded and the UNH School of Law in Concord was established. Since I first became a student in 2013, a brand new gym and outdoor pool were put in, the main dining hall was renovated, we finally have a D1 worthy stadium, a career and professional success initiative was set, Hamilton Smith is on its last stretch of a major renovation, the launch of the UNH School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering was established and even more small projects and other smaller renovations that have benefited the UNH community were put in place. And, if I might add, Huddleston was the winner of the 2016  Business Excellence award for the nonprofit category of a large organization by the NH Business Review.

With the massive fundraising efforts from the UNH Celebrate 150 campaign, UNH’s largest-ever fundraising campaign, that Huddleston started, UNH is now able to provide 285 students with a tuition-free plan. Seventy-nine percent of UNH grads in the last six years are working full time, while the national average is 65 percent. UNH graduates are also 60 percent more likely to be thriving in all five areas of well-being (financial, physical, community, purpose and social) compared to the national average of other large public universities. While all of these statistics and improvements are the efforts of so many incredible individuals at the university, we cannot discredit all of the improvements and positive statistics because of personal disagreements on how money has been spent.

Huddleston has a doctoral degree, has published several articles on consensus building in higher education, books on the American civil service and was the 15th president of Ohio Weslyan University. He was also a faculty member of the University of Delaware for 24 years including the position of Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The list goes on, and certainly qualifies Huddleston for the position of president of a university. UNH often compares our land-grant public state institution to University of Delaware, another land-grant public state institution where the university president makes an $800,000 salary.

There are lots of improvements that the University of New Hampshire can make to better the students, but a new president isn’t one of them. Huddleston could have addressed the student asking the question in a more polite way, but that doesn’t take enough away from the fact that his efforts and progress have been immensely beneficial to the University. So thanks, President Huddleston, for working hard year-round to make our school a better place. Thumbs up to Huddleston.

Allison Bellucci

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Thumbs up to…”

1. K. Ann Campbell, Esq. on February 26th, 2017 4:32 pm

Unjustly enriched by NH tax slaves and student tuition! Let these UNH administrators and educators DONATE that bonus to a deserving high honors federal financial aid student to reduce his or her debt burden. Are universities not about the student? Would donating to reduce financial encumbering of an honor student not make more sense than compounding utter wealth of the university president? I think so.

[Reply]

2. WILLIAM FORTUNE on February 28th, 2017 10:03 am

It’s not just the salary of the president, it’s the salaries of everyone in the system. And, according to studies we don’t need as much education. Young people are lured into higher education and then finding that there are fewer jobs than advertised. After getting “educated” people don’t want to return the less skilled labor market, so companies/farmers have to hire more people from outside the Country.
    The University System need to stop expanding and getting taxpayer subsidies; stand on their own 2 feet and compete in the Free Market Place.

NH politicians keep saying that we need more Hi-tech, high paying jobs. It’ s more like the politicians need more hi-tech jobs/workers and the taxes they pay so the politicians can get elected by handing out more $$ for “help” programs.

[Reply]

• Thumbs up to…

TNH’s annual Wildcat Sports Awards

• Thumbs up to…

Features

Vietnam War veteran shares experiences in preparation for MUB display

• Thumbs up to…

Trump supporter speaks out about campus experiences

• Thumbs up to…

SHARPP promotes assault awareness in discussion

• Thumbs up to…

Senate rejects SAFC chair nomination

• Thumbs up to…

Display debacle: political orgs feud after MUB poster removal

• Thumbs up to…

The finishing touch: After slow start to season, UNH punches ticket to conference tournament

• Thumbs up to…

Columns

Three sides to the story

• Thumbs up to…

Relay for Life raises $92,000 during annual event

• Thumbs up to…

counseling conundrum: staff resignations revealed

Thumbs up to…