UNH strong in home contest

It was another busy weekend for the ‘Cats as the UNH track and field teams found success in both Boston, Massaschusetts and Durham over the weekend.

Friday, a small group of women traveled to the John Thomas Terrier Invitational at Boston University.  On that day there was a strong showing in the mile with standout junior Elinor Purrier winning the event with an impressive 4-minutes, 34.98-seconds. Hannah Kimball and Shannon Murdock set new personal records by going 4:49.01 and 4:53.66 respectively.

This is Purrier’s first mile race since last indoor season when she placed third at the NCAA Championships.

“I’m going to be focusing on the mile for the rest of the season. I really enjoy the mile so it’s a lot of fun so I’m going to see if I can [set a personal record] in the mile, I guess that would be a huge goal for this season.” Purrier said of going back to the mile.

After Friday’s meet both teams filled the Paul sweet Oval for a home meet against Maine and Vermont on Saturday.  Both teams had great days coming out with two victories. 

The men captured first with 150 points against Maine’s 101 and Vermont’s 69.  UNH had many individual victors, including Alexander Tamulonis in the pole vault, Eric Brogioli in the weight throw, John Cox in the 500-meter James Busi in the 800m and Ryan Hanley in the 200m. 

Senior Andrew McFarland ran an impressive 51.97s in the 500m, capturing first. With limited training while studying abroad first semester, McFarland is happy to be back.

“I don’t think I am where I was last year but I’m getting there. I won last weekend too but this week was better so it feels good building each week.” McFarland said on his season thus far.

Head Coach Jim Boulanger was pleased with the way his team performed.
“The J term gives us really too much time off, but felt we had good competition with Holy Cross last week, good competition this week with all events pretty well covered.”

With a score of 149 against Maine’s 95 and Vermont’s 68, the women’s team was also propelled to a victory.  Taking first in the 55m hurdles was Junior Emma Checovich, who also competed the night before at the Terrier Invitational in Boston, placing seventh in the long jump. Another impressive performance came from Jessica Hackett, who won both the 55m dash in 7.71 seconds and the 200m in 26.67 seconds.

Senior Laura Rose Donegan ran away with the mile in a time of 4:54.51. Donegan spent the winter break training at home in Australia and had to adjust quickly from going from summer to winter.

“I just got back from Australia on Tuesday night so I didn’t even know I was racing today until yesterday. And then I wasn’t sure if I was going to race but then I decided I should probably just get right back into it. I needed like a ‘rust buster’ so to speak and I felt good. I definitely have a lot more to give” said Donegan.

Donegan competed in the NCAA championships last outdoor season in the steeplechase and is looking to make it there again with teammate Purrier. Grace Slevin also won the pole vault on her birthday. Happy birthday Grace.

Both teams will travel to the University of Rhode Island for another tough competition next weekend.