On campus registration accessible to all UNH students

tnh_pollweb

With the presidential election being under one month away, the time to vote is just around the corner, leaving unregistered student voters only a couple of weeks to register. Thanks to the University of New Hampshire’s program, UNH Votes, registering to vote as a college student is easier than ever.

According to the UNH Votes website, the university will be providing students with access to easy registration through registration drives in the dining halls, answering frequently asked questions (FAQs) about voting and giving specific instructions on how to register.

Registration drives will be held Tuesday, Oct. 18 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m. at Philbrook (Philly) Dining Hall and again from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in Hubbard Hall; Thursday, Oct. 20 from 1–4 p.m. in Holloway Commons (HoCo) and 6:30-7:30 p.m. in Mills Hall; Wednesday, Oct. 26 from 11 a.m.–2 p.m. in HoCo and lastly on  Saturday, Oct. 29 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. in HoCo as well. Students are required to bring valid identification as well as proof of local residency in order to register to vote on campus.

If these times are inconvenient, students can also register on their own time at the Durham Town Clerk’s Office up to 10 days prior to the election.  

Though some students may be from out-of-state, they are still eligible to vote in the state of New Hampshire. According to the New Hampshire secretary of state’s website, students may register in their college domicile, rather than their home domicile, if they so choose. This will allow out-of-state students to vote in Durham come Nov. 8.  

Students who do not wish to change their voting domicile can vote through an absentee ballot that they can request through their home state’s secretary of state website.  

If a student wishes to vote at the Durham polls, but does not have a valid form of identification, voters can acquire a domicile affidavit form from the New Hampshire secretary of state’s website. They can then bring the domicile affidavit form to the Durham polls in order to vote on Election Day.  

Due to these options, students should have no problem registering and voting on Nov. 8.