Yogi Berra: a life in words

The TNH sports staff chooses its favorite “Yogi-isms”

ANDREW YOURELL

SPORTS EDITOR

Yogi Berra was many things. He was born Lawrence Peter Berra to a poor family in an Italian neighborhood in St. Louis in 1925. His parents and older siblings were immigrants.

Berra started playing minor league baseball for the Yankees organization, before serving in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

After his military service, Berra returned to baseball, and played 18 of his 19 years for the New York Yankees. Berra was an 18-time All Star, and won the World Series 13 times, 10 as a player for the Yankees, and three as a coach or manager. Berra was a three-time American League MVP. He retired from baseball with a career batting average of .285, 358 home runs, 1,430 RBIs and 2,150 hits. As one of the best defensive catchers of all time, Berra was inducted into the Pro Baseball
Hall of Fame in 1972.

BRIAN DUNN

SPORTS EDITOR

Quote: “It’s pretty far, but it doesn’t seem like it.”

I love the quote “It’s pretty far, but it doesn’t seem like it,” because as whacky-worded as Yogi was, this one had a lot of meaning to me. It’s a great metaphor for the start of college and the journey into adulthood. College is the best and also the fastest four years of your life and time flies, so make the best of it while you’re here.

SAM DONNELLY

STAFF WRITER

Quote: “It ain’t over til it’s over.”

There was never a public figure who messed up the English language in a more endearing way than Yogi Berra. His saying it ain’t over til it’s over has forever been something said by fans, coaches, and players. No matter what you play or who you root for, that misconstrued statement always rings in your mind. Whether your team is down two or down 40, Yogi makes you believes there’s always a chance. Yogi Berra was an athlete who never said the wrong things, he just said things wrong. Rest in Peace.

BEN NAWN

CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Quote: “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

I chose this Yog-ism because in life, a lot is going to come at you, good and bad, and sometimes you’ve got to just go with it and stay positive. Yogi always stayed positive and was a class act even when challenges were thrown at him.

TOM Z. SPENCER

CONTENT EDITOR

Quote: “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good too.”

I had the pleasure of shaking Yogi Berra’s hand at the Hall of Fame when I was about 15. I picked this quote because it’s got life’s priorities well organized, yet still reminds us how important it is to play, to compete, or even relax and appreciate those who do so very well.

SAM RABUCK

Executive EDITOR

Quote: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded!”

Yogi Berra said a great many things that will make you chuckle, and this one’s no different. When talking about a popular restaurant, Berra told people that the establishment wouldn’t get him to wait, but did it with such panache that you have to envy him. After all, who doesn’t love to skip the lines and get straight to the food?

MY PICK

Quote: “You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.”

Look, I love food. So if Yogi wants to give me a way to eat as much of it as I want without feeling guilty, I’ll be damned if I don’t thank the man while I take my cake (or pizza) and eat it too.