UNH’s a capella groups took the stage in showcase

By Adam Cook

STAFF WRITER

A showcase of a capella talent was put on in the Granite State Room on Saturday night as six groups performed a handful of songs each.

The seats began filling up around 7:30 p.m. as students started pouring into the Granite State Room for the show that began at 8 p.m.

To kick off the night, the first group to perform was The New Hampshire Notables, the oldest female a capella group from UNH. Right away the crowd began clapping and stomping along to the beat of the group’s songs.

Following The New Hampshire Notables, The New Hampshire Gentlemen, an all-male a capella group, took the stage. Like the Notables, the New Hampshire Gentlemen also sang two songs.

After the New Hampshire Gentlemen put on a great performance, it was Off the Clef’s turn to ignite the crowd, and following them came Not Too Sharp. Both groups put on a crowd-pleasing show as the audience heavily applauded both sets.

To finish up the two song openers of the show, Alabaster Blue sang for the crowd.

“We prepared for two weeks for the event,” Tyler Boutilier, a senior English major and performer in Alabaster Blue, said.

The coed group is popular among UNH students.

“I mainly feel excitement but there’s always some anxiety as well,” Boutilier said in regards to playing in front of a big audience.

As their second song finished the crowd showed a lot of positive energy for the main event, the group Filharmonic.

The Filharmonic is a group composed of six male members. The Fil’- in their name is used because everyone in their group is Filipino.

The group has been featured on NBC’s The Sing-Off and had a feature in the movie Pitch Perfect 2.

Playing a full hour-long set, The Filharmonic sang many recognizable songs as many audience members sang along with the group. During their second song, Shut Up and Dance, the entire audience had been on their feet dancing along with the group.

As the group finished their last song and began thanking the large crowd and walking offstage. But shortly after they left, the crowd broke out into an encore chant, and instead of disappointing the chanting crowd, Filharmonic came back out to sing one last song.

As the show came to an end, the crowd gave a roaring applause to all six groups that showed off their talents.

“I come every year and each one gets better and better,” senior UNH student Alanna Hays said.

Another senior, Tessa Farrell, also enjoyed the show.

“It’s one of my favorite MUB events,” she said. “It’s a university favorite.”

Each group that performed has various events throughout the school year that can be found on their respective websites and Facebook pages. acapella1