Budget Cuts: What Isn’t Expected to Change

Following major budget cuts at the University of New Hampshire, clarifications have been made regarding tuition.

The University of New Hampshire (UNH) is set to undergo some substantial changes in the coming academic years. Since President James Dean’s retirement announcement in September, the university has announced further changes – this time regarding finances and budget cuts. While both events have left students with many unanswered questions, unfortunately, they will remain waiting.

Some UNH students are concerned by the possibility of a tuition increase.

Previous reporting by The New Hampshire revealed that while decisions have not yet been made regarding tuition, President Dean expects a rise in cost will ultimately be the outcome.

As Michael Blackman, dean of students, explained, due to President Dean’s retirement, set for June 2024, any tuition increase would be proposed by the new president and approved by the board of trustees. 

“In-state tuition has been frozen for six years and that will continue to be true in the 2024-25 academic year,” said Blackman.

According to Blackman, the cost of attendance at New Hampshire state schools is less than in 2019. The University System of New Hampshire’s (USNH) 2023 annual financial report found that the average cost of in-state tuition after aid has been applied is $10,200, which is lower than five years ago. 

“Freezing tuition for in-state students is part of our commitment to providing an affordable education,” Blackman said.

Blackman said, overall, the budget cuts “have been important to ensure we have a sustainable budget for the future, but delivering an affordable education will remain a priority, and we know it’s important for students.”

Although other changes are actively taking place across campus facilities, students can rely on the tuition freeze for the next academic year.