MacFarlane stepping down to become principal at Phillips Exeter

By Andrew Yourell, Staff Writer

UNH President Mark Huddleston has sent a number of emails to the students, faculty and staff in the last week regarding a range of topics from the snow to the Super Bowl. Perhaps lost in all the correspondence was the news that Lisa MacFarlane would be stepping down as the university’s provost and vice president for academic affairs after the 2014-2015 academic year. She will be assuming the role of principal at Phillips Exeter Academy.

MacFarlane has been in her current role since the 2013 academic year, but her involvement in the UNH community spans back almost three decades, according to Huddleston. Among her many accolades, MacFarlane has served UNH as an English professor, specializing in American literature, history, and culture; director of the University Honors Program; director of the American Studies Program and senior vice provost for academic affairs.

Additionally, Huddleston credits MacFarlane’s efforts for being instrumental in UNH’s internationalization, helping to bring the Confucius Institute and the Navitas program to Durham. She led the process that led to UNH opening the Carsey School of Public Policy and the School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering. MacFarlane spearheaded UNH’s reaccreditation with the New England Association of Schools and Colleges last year, as well.

In addition to her work at UNH, MacFarlane has chaired the Walt Whitman Chair at Utrecht University and served as the New England American Studies Association president, which has now established the Lisa MacFarlane Award for the best paper by an undergraduate student.

The UNH community thanks Lisa for her years of dedication and hard work for the betterment of the university, and wishes her well at Phillips Exeter Academy.

Follow Andrew Yourell on twitter at @fix_bayonets