Saying goodbye to a community favorite

After seven wonderful years, Main Street Makery located on Durham’s Main Street is closing its doors. On March 29, 2021, Shop Owner Sarah Grandy announced the devastating news on the store’s Facebook page and through an email newsletter. The store’s closing date is April 30.

Grandy stated in the announcement that over the past year she has been looking to find ways to stay open and continue her work within the Durham community, but the COVID-19 pandemic has caused many challenges for the small business.

“Life threw all of us obstacle after obstacle this past year, forcing us to redefine how we live and do business,” stated Grandy. “At the Makery, we continually pushed/pivoted/changed to find new ways to stay open; the glimpses of success kept our hearts hopeful! Determined to make it through the 2020 holiday season, we saw many of our usual beloved customers and were able to stay open. It was busy, reaffirming and heartwarming — but still, sales were down considerably. Then came a very slow start to 2021 which, coupled with the continued high Covid numbers in Durham/UNH, created a culture detrimental to a brick and mortar business.”

Despite her best efforts, she said, “I need to close the shop permanently. It is time for me to stop, look around and find a different path forward.”

Throughout its time in the Durham community, the shop has been able to host over 300 artists, offer free crafts to the community, artist demonstrations and live music, collaboratively create three vibrant, colorful, community murals (which currently guide visitors right to the shop’s doors), and countless other achievements.

“I want to thank all of you for seven years of Makery love,” said Grandy. “It has been therapeutic reflecting on all of the fun we have had with our evening and community events, participating with Celebrate Durham, collaborating with other businesses, and countless shenanigans in the shop. This has truly been one of the most fulfilling and fun things I have done.” Main Street Makery has been a Durham staple and will be missed by community members. The arts and craft store is located in the alleyway between Hayden Sports and Durham House of Pizza (D-Hop). The current hours are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday. With less than a month until close, be sure to stop by.

Photo courtesy of Main Street Makery.