An upperclassman’s guide to Discovery Courses at UNH

As underclassmen begin to pick courses for their next semester at the University of New Hampshire (UNH), discovery courses remain something many underclassmen want to cross off their college to-do list. UNH requires every student to complete the Discovery Program which is compromised of courses that cover 11 different categories: Writing, Quantitative Reasoning, Inquiry, Biological Science, Physical Science, Fine and Performing Arts, Humanities, Historical Perspectives, World Cultures, Social Science, Environment, Technology and Society. That is not to say discovery courses are bad, but finding enjoyable classes that pertain to the real world while also meeting these credits is very important to many. Below is a list of upperclassmen’s favorite discovery courses they took while at UNH, along with their availability for the spring semester.  

GEOG 540: Geography of the Middle East 

Course Description: Environmental, cultural, political-geographic, and ecological foundations of the Middle East. Selected regional problems and issues, e.g., geographical dimensions of the Arab-Israeli conflict, oil, urbanization, population growth, and nomadism. 

Available in Spring 2021No.  

Discovery: World Cultures.  

“I feel like as Americans we all have a negative connotation of the Middle East and have stigma of the various religions and cultures,” said Jae Barboza. “This course was so beyond eye opening and you learn a lot about inventions that were created in the Middle East that we use in the U.S. today. Professor Drysdale is one of the nicest professors I have ever had at UNH and truly wants his students to succeed. There was minimal work, and you could take the class at your pace since it’s only offered online. 10/10 recommend.” 

RMP 515: History of Outdoor Pursuits in North America  

Course Description: Voluntary pursuits in the outdoors have defined American culture since the early 17th century. Over the past 400 years, activities in outdoor recreation an education have reflected Americans’ spiritual aspirations, imperial ambitions, social concerns, and demographic changes. This course will give students the opportunity to learn how Americans’ experiences in the outdoors have influenced and been influenced by major historical developments of the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th, and early 21st centuries. This course is cross listed with KIN 515. 

Available in Spring 2021Yes.  

Discovery: Historical Perspectives.  

RMP 511: Issues of Wilderness and Nature in American Society 

Course Description: Provides students with an overview of the evolving relationship between wilderness/nature and American society. Examines the philosophy, ethics, and societal values in American society and its relationship to our natural wilderness. Recent issues are used as case studies in order for students to articulate, defend, and critique the ethical issues presented. Students are responsible for understanding and applying philosophical approaches developed by philosophers, writers, and activists associated with the wilderness, sustainability, biodiversity, hunting, suburban sprawl, environmental activism, endangered species, organic foods, and genetic engineering. 

Available in Spring 2021Yes. 

Discovery: Humanities.  

“RMP 515 and RMP 511 – the teachers in this department are super passionate and the classes are a lot of fun,” said J.P. Lapierre. “Fairly easy, straight forward discoveries.” 

BIOL 420: Introduction to Forensic Sciences 

Course Description: Explore the forensic sciences! How do you collect, preserve, and analyze evidence related to a crime scene investigation? Hear from the experts and apply scientific principles and techniques in laboratory exercises that follow a crime scene scenario. The goal of this class will be to provide students with an understanding of what criminalistics entails and to prepare them for additional, more in-depth classes in criminalistics or forensic science. Special fee. 

Available in Spring 2021Yes.  

Discovery: Discovery Lab Course and Biological Science. 

“I am not even close to a science major, but I really enjoyed it and the lab was a cool murder mystery set up,” said Regina Silveira.  

“Professor is so nice, and class is very, very easy,” said Alysa Sapp. “The labs are fun too.” 

NR 433: Wildlife Ecology 

Course Description: Historical, biological, ecological, and sociological factors influencing the wildlife resource and its management. Concepts in populations, communities, habitat, and contemporary wildlife issues. Special fee. Lab. 

Available in Spring 2021No.  

“The professor is so passionate,” said Brooke Healy. “It’s an interesting topics and easy lab! One of my favorite courses I’ve taken at UNH.”  

MATH 420: Finite Mathematics 

Course Description: Topics selected from probability, systems of linear equations, matrix algebra, linear programming, mathematics of finance. Not a preparation for calculus. Prereq: MATH 302 or the equivalent. Not offered for credit to mathematics majors. 

Available in Spring 2021Yes.  

Discovery: Quantitative Reasoning.  

“Math 420 was ridiculously easy,” said Regina Silveira.  

NURS 450: Making Babies 

Course Description: Examines the process of human birth focusing on the emergent technologies of human genetics, assisted fertility technologies, prenatal diagnosis and treatment, as well as the appropriate and inappropriate use of technology through the labor, delivery, and post-partum experience. The social, cultural, political, and historical context for the development and application of these technologies is explored. 

Available in Spring 2021: Yes.  

Discovery:  Environment, Tech & Society 

“I think that overall, as a class it teaches you really important things about life especially the ways we use our bodies and the effects our choices have on our reproductive health,” said Heather Johnson. “In terms of incoming college freshman, I’d say that’s an age group in which you’re coming into increased sexual activity and this class teaches you how to protect yourself and be safe while developing physical relationships. Professor Niland does a great job making uncomfortable and awkward conversations easy to talk about and there is a lot to learn from her.” 

There are plenty of discovery courses for underclassmen to find to meet their own interests at UNH Time and Room. All course descriptions courtesy of UNH Time and Room.