Dairy Bar closes following COVID-19 case

The Dairy Bar at the University of New Hampshire (UNH) stayed open for the summer and first few weeks of the semester during this pandemic, but closed its doors effective Monday, Sept. 28 according to the UNH dining website. 

The shift supervisor of the Dairy Bar tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, Sept. 24. Due to the new protocols on campus, the Dairy Bar had to shut down immediately when results were received, and all workers were to complete a 14-day quarantine. 

Student supervisor at the Dairy Bar, Donatella DiPietrantonio, is now home during her quarantine where she has to be isolated from her family and friends. “I went into work and there were only students working, there was no adults and I started asking my coworkers what was going on?” DiPietrantonio said. “Then one of the other workers told me our head supervisor has coronavirus. Nobody thought we were going to have to quarantine until Health & Wellness called all of us that night saying we have to do a 14-day quarantine.” Employees had to quarantine immediately by either going home or residing in the quarantine dorms on campus. Their quarantine was expected to be in place immediately following whenever an employee last saw the head supervisor in question. 

Kate Boyle, general manager of retail dining at UNH, said, “The Dairy Bar closed effective September 28th due to operational challenges related to accommodation of staff and customers as the cooler weather approaches and impacts the outdoor-only sales required for COVID adaptation. Throughout Hospitality Services we continue our diligence in following all CDC and DHHS guidelines with our staff including the use of PPE, frequent handwashing, physical distancing, and temperature checks at the start of each shift. We look forward to reopening the Dairy Bar when the weather and circumstances permit it.”

UNH is taking necessary precautions to keep students and staff safe. There is no word on when the Dairy Bar will reopen.