SCOPE updates students on spring concert

Many students at the University of New Hampshire (UNH) look forward to the fall and spring concerts presented by the Student Committee On Popular Entertainment (SCOPE). UNH’s decision to switch to online classes due to the development of the coronavirus (COVID-19) caused many students to wonder about the upcoming spring concert that would’ve taken place in April.  

SCOPE does not release much information on the concert until the performance date is closer to build up more excitement. This means students do not know who is going to perform or when. This also left many students wondering if the performer originally scheduled would return at a later date. Unfortunately, SCOPE executive director Maggie Kosalek was unable to give any information on rescheduling. She stated that it is currently “confidential.”  

One student, who wished to remain anonymous, reacted to this answer saying, “[SCOPE’s budget] is our money, if we want to know who was supposed to be playing and if they’re ever going to be playing at UNH in the future then we should get to know. The ‘hype’ no longer matters.”  

Although the decision to not reveal specific details may not be the answer students are looking for with all of the mystery surrounding the future with COVID-19, Kosalek explained how the virus has affected SCOPE, saying all members are feeling devastated to not be able to put on a show this semester.  “It’s tough to see a lot of hard work get swept away from us like that, as I’m sure some other orgs are feeling too,” Kosalek said. 

With all of this uncertainty, SCOPE assured they are working hard on the next concert by staying in touch through virtual means. The group has been messaging back and forth and also using Zoom, a web-based video conferencing tool, to work on future plans and make up for the work lost this semester. Kosalek added, “virtual meetings are much tougher [to conduct] than in person meetings, [but] we have still been getting work done and are adamant about keeping our scheduled weekly meetings.”  

Amanda Moore and Jackie Weik, both freshmen communication majors, found SCOPE’s answers to these questions fitting. “SCOPE’s response was appropriate, they obviously care a lot about the show but there is a lot of unpredictability due to COVID-19 when planning major events like this,” said Moore. Weik had similar thoughts, saying, “I think their answer is justified, they have no control over the circumstances, they’re doing the right thing considering some public officials predict a halt on live concerts until fall 2021.”   

Although it is unknown who was going to perform this spring and if they still will make an appearance at UNH, SCOPE is still working hard on the next show. Kosalek finished by providing a link that can be found here and on their Instagram, @scopeunh, for their quarantine playlist.