Q&A with snowboarder Zeb Powell

Jack: What is your first memory of snowboarding?  

Zeb: My first memory of snowboarding was actually kind of bad. It was a holiday, maybe like Thanksgiving, and my family took us up to go skiing at our local mountain. This is before I even got introduced to snowboarding. They set me up riding regular stance and I had this really mean teacher who was all aggravated that I couldn’t ride regular. I was just not having fun. I remember I must have had a little sense of style because they gave me these colorful overalls and I was like no I don’t want to wear this like no. Then I got one of my cousin’s kits, it was these black pants and black jacket. I looked good, I remember. 

Jack: What was it like to win and Xgames gold metal?  

Zeb: It’s definitely surreal considering I haven’t made it to a huge competition circuit yet. It was a different type of pressure being in front of a screen on tv with all big dawgs and stuff. It was crazy. Everything up until the competition was wild. I was nervous and stuff. Then once I started competing I was having a blast and it was fine. So yeah… 

Jack: If you could be any snowboard what type of snowboard would you be?  

Zeb: Um, I’d probably be a Nitro Cannon the 203. Those things are only ridden in powder basically so you know they get like care and extra attention. They’re pretty expensive too, so people who ride them usually take care of them. If you’re a snowboard you want to be taken care of, right? I definitely don’t take care of my snowboard right now, the beast. I wouldn’t want to be the beast because I break those like 24/7.