Amtrak Downeaster: 5 things to do near Wells, Maine

1. Wells Beach

https://www.bellevuebythesea.com/

While this is not an overly surprising thing to do in a coastal Maine town, Wells Beach is beautiful in all seasons. The beachfront has clean sand, pretty minimal rocks and other larger objects, and of course beautiful waves lapping at the shore. The beach is most populated during the summer months, as many vacationers inhabit this part of Maine, but locals will tell you fall and spring are the most beautiful times to visit and much quieter to boot. There are many campsites, restaurants, shops and hotels within a short walk of this beach. 

2. Congdon’s Donuts 

https://mainetoday.com/tag/congdons-doughnuts/

This donut shop is one of Wells’ most iconic restaurants. They have been called a “hidden gem” by Phantom Gourmet. Their website states, “Congdon’s Family Restaurant & Bakery has been serving up world famous doughnuts and delicious breakfast items since 1955. While much has changed since we opened our doors, the family, location, and flavors, are the same as they were we opened our doors decades ago — and is the reason so many consider us ‘a must’ for anyone traveling to or through southern Maine.” This family-run restaurant serves delicious breakfast food, but be sure to grab a dozen donuts on your way out—you won’t regret it! 

3. Boardwalk Arcade   

The name of this place speaks for itself, but the best part is that it is open on the weekends year-round. The arcade has something for all ages, including games and fun prizes. There are classic video games and typical arcade games like Skee-ball and claw machines. Games are fairly inexpensive, usually around $1 or $2 each. If you need a break from the sand, sun or, at this time of year, wind and cold, check out this fun arcade. 

4. Spiller’s Farm Store  

It would be a shame to visit Maine and not go to at least one country store or old-timey grocery store. Spiller’s is charming and cute, but offers a great selection of food, drinks, local treats and more. As the store is set on the farm itself, the food really could not get fresher. In the summer, the store features a wagon full of fruits and vegetables sitting at the entrance. In the warmer months, you can pick fresh produce like strawberries and apples. 

5. Antique stores  

Last but certainly not least, when visiting this part of Maine, you must be sure to check out some antique stores! You can find anything in these places if you go at the right time, from classical old furniture to interesting documents. You can find inexpensive things, great deals or more rare, expensive collectibles as well. There are over 10 antique shops in Wells, so it won’t be hard to find at least one to explore.