Dorm room recipe: pizza in a mug

Last semester, I got lazy with my food. I don’t live too far from Holloway Commons but when it’s cold and I just took a shower, I don’t want to drag myself across the street and risk becoming a human popsicle. Low on freezer space, I couldn’t just grab frozen meals to keep myself going, and there’s only so much cereal and oatmeal one can eat in a day before they wind up very tired of a constant breakfast. 

In desperation, I turned to the internet and discovered what I always needed but could never articulate: mug recipes. I ran to the Mills Plaza, waltzed up and down the Hannaford aisles with my phone in hand, picking out what I’d need to be able to cover as many recipes as possible without needing to make any more trips out. I’m lazy, after all. Finding the world of mug recipes was a blessing, and there’s almost anything I could want, from mug cakes to omelets to chicken pot pie.  

I’ve experimented with a few of them now, but pizza in a mug is my favorite. Originally from Bigger Bolder Baking, a recipe website that has many other mug recipes, I’ve been experimenting with this recipe for a semester now, trying to make sure it’s just right. It’s not exactly pizza-like, and if you want the full grease and slice, you’ll have to order an actual pizza, but you do get the nice mix of dough, sauce and cheese at a price much cheaper than a full pizza, so it’s good enough for me. I’ve figured out how to make mine extra fluffy, which makes it a good comfort when I’m studying at 2 a.m. 

Ingredients: 

1 Clean mug 

5 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour 

4 1/2 Tablespoons of milk  

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil 

1/8 Teaspoon baking soda 

1/8 Teaspoon baking powder 

2 1/2 Tablespoons of pasta sauce 

Salt, to taste, I usually add 1/16 teaspoons 

Cheese, also to taste, but I recommend a lot, at least two tablespoons. 

Two pinches of garlic powder 

A pinch of onion powder 

Any other topping you could want that will fit in a mug! 

Start with your dry ingredients, mixing together your flour, baking soda and baking powder. Then add in the milk and olive oil, stirring it to get rid of any lumps. I have had times where I didn’t properly stir it and there was leftover dry flour at the bottom of the mug, which isn’t the most appetizing thing in the world. Ultimately harmless, but not pleasant to get a mouthful of.  

After I make sure the mixture is free of any lumps, I like to stir one tablespoon of sauce into the mixture, then stir in a handful of cheese. It makes it a little lighter, and makes it so you get the good pizza taste even when you finish eating the top bit. I also like to add in some garlic or onion powder at this stage; if it settles on the top it’s a bit too strong but mixing it in allows the flavor to spread. Once everything is good and stirred, I put the rest of the sauce on top of the mixture, sprinkling it with cheese and other toppings. Sometimes I’ll try to make little shapes out of the sauce, but alas, I am not meant to be a mug recipe artist and it always winds up looking a little sad. That’s okay, I’m not here to make pretty food, just food that is edible.  

Then you pop it into the microwave! The timing depends on the wattage of your microwave. I usually leave mine in for around three minutes because I have a 700-watt microwave. For a 1,200 watt microwave, I recommend a minute and a half. If neither of those work, zap it for 30 second intervals until cooked. Let it cool and then enjoy your brand new pizza-esque treat!