Defensive Player of the Year: Evan Horn

Amongst a secondary led by seniors like Prince Smith Jr., Isiah Perkins, and Pop Lacey, it was junior safety Evan Horn that paced the unit all season long. 

The defense was the strength of this Wildcat team all season long which was pointed out by head coach Ricky Santos many times. This was a unit with a lot of experience and a lot of leadership; nobody seemed to have a bigger impact than Horn though. 

The junior’s numbers in 2019 were something to admire. Horn led the defense in total tackles with 40, four interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He also fell just shy of the team lead in sacks with four, and sits third in sack yardage. 

Not only did Horn put up numbers faster than any of his teammates, but the safety had a knack to be at the right place at the right time. This was shown with his interception against Villanova to secure the win. It was also evident while laying a big hit to force a fumble against UMaine. 

In his final game of the season he recorded a season-high 11 tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble. This game led to the junior earning three different weekly honors. Horn earned the Service Credit Union Student-Athlete Spotlight, the CAA Defensive Player of the Week, and the STATS FCS Defensive Player of the Week. 

Horn’s efforts this season landed himself on the CAA Second Team All-Defense with fellow defensive back Prince Smith Jr.