Men’s soccer prevails

To kick off the 2019 season, the Wildcats took on Boston University in their home opener at Wildcat Stadium on Thursday. Senior forward Chris Arling poked in the first goal of the season for the Wildcats off a rebound from an initial shot off the foot of graduate student Fabian Lutz. This turned out to be the game-winning goal as UNH would go on to control possession for the rest of the game. 

“I think we created a lot of good chances especially in the first half,” said Head Coach Marc Hubbard. UNH doubled BU’s time of possession in the attacking third as they got 10 shots off in total and seven on goal just in the first half. 

Other players like senior forward Antonio Colacci, junior back Josh Bauer, and Lutz got shots off but Arling was the only one to get a shot in the back of the net. Hubbard said of Arling “He’s a guy that scored 30 goals in his first two years…I think the more he plays the more comfortable he’s going to get and that will ultimately help us.” Arling missed most of the 2018 season due to an injury and will be looking to lead this team as a fifth-year senior. 

Arling commented on his leadership role this season, “Whether it’s on the field scoring goals, off the field motivating people in the weight room, talking to people in training, a whole bunch of stuff.” 

UNH continued their dominance at Wildcat Stadium improving their home record to 11-1 in their last 12 games. Talking about that first win Coach Hubbard said, “We’re going to be on the road here for a good amount of time, so it’s good to do that in front of our home crowd.” 

In their second game of the year, the Wildcats beat Providence College on Monday 2-1 in Providence, Rhode Island. After going down 1-0 in the first half, senior forward Donnett Sackie tied the game and was assisted by senior midfielder Alan Kehoe for his first goal of the season. It was only 15 minutes into the second half when Arling put in the game-winner for his second goal of the year, assisted by Colacci. Through two games, Arling leads the team in points with four.  

The Wildcats play next on Friday against Colgate University in Hamilton, NY at 5 P.M.