Field hockey eager to play

The UNH Field Hockey team ended last season with a loss in the America East tournament to #24 ranked Stanford.  

They look to bounce back this year after losing five contributing seniors but gaining some promising freshmen and maintaining solid starters as well. 

The ‘Cats have made the America East tournament 24 times including 12 consecutive seasons. They look to do it again with their current crew.  

Impactful players include sophomore forward Finn Caron who led the team in goals with eight last year and total points with 17. Junior midfielder Isabelle Danahey also looks to continue to improve as she finished last season with an impressive multiple game point streak. Junior midfielder Bloem van den Brekel finished second in goals and points with seven and sixteen respectively. van den Brekel was also named to the Northeast region second team last year. Another contributor will be midfielder and senior captain Kayla Sliz, who looks to lead the team to another successful season.  

The team will start the season in Washington, DC, against American University after two scrimmages with Northeastern University in Durham on August 18 and at Quinnipiac University on August 22. The first home game will be on September 8 against Holy Cross after a couple tough road games at Boston University and Maryland. 

As far as the coaching staff is concerned, the ‘Cats hired a new technical director in Cheryl Murtagh this offseason, while keeping Head Coach Robin Balducci and Assistant Coach Megan Bozek. While the rest of UNH is returning to campus this week, the Field Hockey team will be hard at work training for the upcoming season. Be sure to take time out to go support the UNH Field Hockey team during their 2019 season.