Local music venues

Boston Calling 

May 24 -26 at the Harvard Athletic Complex, Boston, MA.  

This three-day festival is hosting some of the biggest names in music. Boston Calling ranges through almost every genre of music, so it has a little something for everyone. Along with the wide range of music, audience members are also able to enjoy their favorite artists at an outdoor venue, so be prepared to attend whether its rain or shine. The headliners on each day of the festival are as follows: twenty one pilots, Tame Impala and Travis Scott.  

The music doesn’t just stop there though, as each headliner is accompanied by about 20 other artists on each specific day performing on one of the four stages at the venue. With multiple stages on location, those in attendance are encouraged to move around and experience the vibe of the atmosphere, which includes local art installations, a 100-foot-tall Ferris wheel, local food vendors, and life size games. 

Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom 

In the summertime, the Hampton Beach strip in Hampton, NH is one of the most vibrant scenes on the Seacoast and, in the heart of it all, is the Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom. This venue holds about 2,000 people per concert, which allows for the feel of a bigger concert but not one that isn’t too big to feel uncomfortable in the sea of people. The casino ballroom is open from April to November in which they hold about 70 concerts (the majority of which are during the summer when the most people are occupying Hampton Beach). Many people are intrigued by this venue because of the proximity to the ocean. If you walk out the front doors of the venue you are able to see the waves crashing on the sand. In the past, the Casino Ballroom has hosted the Supremes, KC and the Sunshine Band, Yes, and many more. Some of the ballroom’s most notable artists this summer are The Foreigners, The Wailers and Citizen Cope, to name a few. 

Thompson Point 

Right off of Rt. 295 in Portland, ME is Thompson Point. This is another outdoor venue which is right on the banks of the Fore River which creates quite a beautiful scene on cool New England summer nights. Sunset glistening off the top of the river and your favorite band playing in the background- it really doesn’t get much better than that. Thompson Point has partnered with the State Theatre to bring the State Theatre Summer Concert Series. The series has hosted some of the best national talent, including Head and the Heart, Lake Street Dive, The Lumineers and Bob Dylan. This summer, Thompson Point is welcoming Maggie Rogers, Old Dominion, Shakey Graves, Dr. Dog and many others. The space allows for around 5000 people at capacity, with an additional 2500 to fit with room to stretch their legs on the lawn behind them. One thing that sets this venue apart is that it allows for local vendors to come and sell food during the concerts. Whether it’s a local food truck or an up-and-coming popcorn company, you can look to all taste the local flavor and get enriched in the culture of summertime New England at this venue.  

The Stone Church 

Located in Newmarket, NH the Stone Church is a fan favorite for many UNH students. This is because of the proximity to the university and the accessibility for local bands. Many bands, believe it or not, come right out of UNH. The Stone Church allows for many of these bands to play at its venue, some of which are Daylo, Plains and Bus Stop Hill. This joint has live music just about every night of the week and during the day the venue also doubles as a restaurant. The Stone Church is perfect for an end of the day activity if you are looking for something to do in the summer and want to stay close to campus. Open daily at 4 p.m., you are always in for a treat if you attend the Stone Church. Check out their website for a full list of events this summer; some highlights include Six Fox Whiskey, Space Force, and Eli Elkus.