Clandestine brings funk-filled jazzy performance to the Stone Church

For Chloe Frye, a senior psychology major at the University of New Hampshire (UNH) and a regular at The Stone Church, seeing Clandestine and Marvel Prone at the popular Newmarket venue was something she had waited for all week.   

The senior, who is graduating in a couple weeks, has something in common with half of the members of Clandestine, the jazz quartet made up of four UNH students: two of the band members will be graduating alongside her.  

The band has secured a spot at The Stone Church on Thursday nights for almost the whole semester, playing what ends up seeming like a monthly gig; this past Thursday was one of their last performances as UNH students.   

“I’m sad that it’s one of their last shows at The Stone Church,” Frye said. “Thursdays are always so much fun, and I looked forward to going to their shows.  

Around 100 people came out to support the band and opener Marvel Prone, but guitar player and senior music performance major Keith Perry insists that it’s not the end for Clandestine.  

“I’m so happy this many people came out,” Perry said. “We will be a band still, I hope so. I think everyone is staying around here.”  

To celebrate the occasion, the jazz group debuted new songs, one of which was called “Trains,” and written by drummer Chris Salemme, a junior environmental conservation and sustainability major. 

The crowd erupted in cheers as they announced the name of their song to the audience, many putting their arms in the air, already getting ready to dance along to the funkiness that is Clandestine.  

“Once I heard the jazz come from the saxophone and the groovy tones on the guitar, everyone started dancing and it was so much fun,” Frye said. “They performed very well and encouraged the crowd to get loose and enjoy themselves.” 

Despite playing new songs, the group also performs covers, originals and improvises on stage. Many people in the audience will recognize their Stevie Wonder covers, and the band, regardless of having no singer, is still able to make every person in the crowd dance.  

Before Clandestine took the stage, Marvel Prone, another UNH band, played an array of originals, but also two cover songs by the bands Vampire Weekend and Tame Impala, which many people recognized as they started to shout the lyrics.  

Perry talked about playing with Marvel Prone his freshman year. 

“It was fun, going into a band where someone is like ‘I wrote this, see what you can do with it,’” he said about lead singer, sophomore physics major Rainor Vigneault’s talent. Adding that he is all about “colors, vibes, auras, everything.” 

Vigneault had similar things to say about Clandestine. 

“They [Clandestine] are amazing, blowing me away,” he said. “It’s a lot of fun, especially after people showed up and started dancing.” On his own performance, Vigneault mentioned having a new drummer, Edward McPherson, and how they are “really starting to jive.”  

Both bands will take Freedom Fest at the Freedom Café this Saturday, and Clandestine will be at BRGR Bar in Portsmouth on Sunday. Marvel Prone will be playing at Solarfest on Sunday at the Fishbowl on campus.