Gymnastics season ends at regionals

The University of New Hampshire Wildcats Gymnastics team wrapped up their historic season two weeks ago in Athens, Georgia. In the NCAA regional qualifiers, the Wildcats were finally defeated by opponent NC State, who they had gotten the best of the prior two times.  

Seniors Danielle Mulligan and Nicole O’ Leary went on to compete in the NCAA Regional meet the next day in the all-around and vault portions respectively. In the first session of the day, O’Leary would put up a score of 9.775 to place 21st on the vault overall. In the second session, after a fall on the uneven bars, Mulligan was still able to rally back and place eighth overall in the all-around competition. Both these seniors represented the team well and wrapped up their amazing careers. Mulligan especially was a great leader for this team, winning 7 EAGL gymnasts awards through her amazing season. 

Including Mulligan and O’Leary, this team will certainly miss its six graduating seniors next year, who all played huge roles in the team’s performance. Many of the seniors like Courtney Bondanza and Erin Carroll had huge roles through different parts of the season to anchor the ‘Cats and help them achieve their goals.  

While their season ending in the regional competition is unfortunate, looking back at what this team has done this year is remarkable. Starting out the year, the team had the moto of “UnfinishedBusiness” as they looked to avenge their previous second place finishes in the EAGL in recent years. They did so this year on their home court as they took down all other EAGL competitors in dramatic fashion on the floor of the Whittemore Center. Through a season that had its highs and lows, the team pulled it all together for that match and fought hard for a huge victory to accomplish their season goal.  

The senior members of this squad who are graduating will leave a void to fill. On the bright side for the ‘Cats, many of the crucial pieces of this team are underclassmen. The Wildcats will certainly have the opportunity of success to look forward to in the coming seasons.