Freedom Fest Preview

WUNH-FM gears up for another year of Freedom Fest – a music festival that’s sponsored by the University of New Hampshire (UNH) college radio station, WUNH, and hosted at the Freedom Café, showcasing the local talent Durham and its surrounding towns have to offer.  

Coming April 27 from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m., there is a suggested price of $5 at the door and all the proceeds go to the Freedom Café’s mission to end human trafficking.   

“When you’re under 21 at a university like UNH, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and isolated from genuine local culture,” WUNH Event Coordinator Rachael Moss said. “With this event, we’re hoping to expose the beautiful community (to everything) that the Freedom Cafe has to offer with some of the hottest local student bands.” 

Performing acts at the festival will include Marvel Prone, Clandestine, the Woolly Mammoths, and other student musicians and groups. There will also be an iced tea special for $1 alongside other fair-trade beverages the Café offers.   

The Freedom Café, located on Mill Road in Durham, stresses that their products are all fair-trade and come from certified non-exploitative companies. The Café’s goal is to help end human trafficking and exploitation of workers by educating each person who comes into the cafe as they walk in. They offer a “pay what you want” system, where all the proceeds go to the various organizations that the café partners with; the café is 100 percent non-profit.   

Freedom Fest will be held indoors at the Freedom Café, and will also offer open doors and outside seating. The event aims to expose local musical acts across Durham while also raising awareness to human trafficking. The festival also hopes to bring the UNH community together in an environment where attendees can listen to music; drink coffee, tea and other beverages and dance.