Women’s lacrosse improves 8-3

Womens lacrosse improves 8-3

UNH junior midfielder Rylee Leonard recorded a team-high four points to lead the ‘Cats (7-3, 2-0) in the 16-6 blowout win over the University of Hartford (1-11, 0-2) on Saturday. 

Leonard netted three goals and completed one assist. She was one of five ‘Cats to record multiple points. Sophomore midfielder Elizabeth Blanding, first year midfielder Emily Curtis, first year attacker Lily Powell and junior midfielder Michele Smith all joined Leonard with two points each.  

First year defender Taylor Dudek and sophomore midfielder Gabby Masseur stood out on defense, as the pair was credited to a total 10 ground balls and seven turnovers. 

The Wildcats scored the first two goals of the game within thirty seconds of each other with the first from Leonard and the second from Blanding.  

The back-to-back goals sparked a 7-0 scoring run by the Wildcats, putting them in control deep into the first half.  

Hartford scored their first goal on their first shot at 11:25 in the half from sophomore attacker and New Zealand native Melissa Gratwicke.  

Leonard recorded an assist less than a minute later when she connected with senior attacker Mickenzie Larivee to put the ‘Cats up 8-1. 

UNH dominated the rest of the half, scoring another three goals in ten minutes to end the half with an 11-1 lead.  

The second half was played at a back-and-forth pace, as the ‘Cats maintained a ten-goal lead. 

Hartford jumped on the board first in the second half less than two minutes in, but Leonard answered shortly after with her second goal, to keep the margin at ten. 

UNH scored the next two goals to jump up 14-2, with Curtis’ first career goal and another from sophomore attacker Sabrina Grovom. 

The Hawks followed suit scoring back-to-back goals, thus cutting the lead back down to ten.  

Curtis stretched the lead out again with her second goal that came off a spin move through the defense.  

Both teams scored again before time expired, but the first half deficit was too great for Hartford to overcome. The Wildcats advance to 7-3 on the season with their third straight win.