Pulitzer Prize journalist Bob Woodward to visit UNH

Renowned writer and investigative journalist Bob Woodward will be speaking at UNH on Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. in the Memorial Union Building’s (MUB) Granite State Room. Woodward has worked as an associate editor of The Washington Post since 1971, and has authored 18 non-fiction national bestsellers, 12 of which have been number one national bestsellers. He has also been awarded two Pulitzer Prizes, the first being in 1973 for the coverage on the Watergate scandal, and the other being in 2002 for his role as lead reporter for the coverage of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. His latest book, “The Last of the President’s Men,” was published in October 2015.

The name of Woodward’s lecture is “The Age of American Presidency from Nixon to Now,” and he will likely be addressing the corruption of President Richard Nixon’s administration, which lasted from 1969 to 1974, and how the American presidency has changed over the past several years. He may also discuss the possible corruption of this year’s election, as well as the election results and how this will not only change the way in which the media portrays the presidency, but the way in which America is portrayed as a whole as well.

UNH Journalism Program Director Lisa Miller commented on how Woodward’s work has affected American politics.

“His work has been tremendously important. Investigative reporting is difficult work, but [we] need journalists such as Woodward who are willing to hold public officials accountable and illuminate what’s going on with American government and politics,” she said.

Acclaimed journalists such as Woodward himself have created pathways for new, up-and-coming journalists who want to shed light on American politics and government, too.

“I’m thrilled Bob Woodward is coming to speak at UNH,” Miller said. “He’s shown the way for many young journalists who want to do journalism that makes a difference in the world.”

Tom Haines, another UNH journalism professor, is also looking forward to Woodward’s event.

“His visit is an incredible opportunity for the UNH community to hear directly from one of the most influential political reporters of the past 40 years,” Haines said. “I’m curious to hear his perspective on this particular moment of transition, given the inside view he has had on the changing presidency.”

UNH’s College of Liberal Arts is requesting that each individual looking to attend the event register before hand, online. Although the lecture is currently full, there will be an overflow room in MUB Theatre 2 with a simulcast showing. This lecture is free and open to the public, and is available for all those interested to listen to the esteemed investigative journalist, Bob Woodward.