Sketched Out presents ‘But Actually, Thanks Obama’

UNH comedy club Sketched Out presented their skit, “But Actually, Thanks Obama” on Wednesday night. The show’s audience was packed, and the comedians did a great job of keeping the audience entertained through a mixture of straightforward and subtle jokes. The event consisted of five skits performed by a group of six students.

The show started with three of the students introducing three other students as their parents attending their comedy show. This form of “skitception” was a great way to get the crowd engaged, as well as introducing the cast to the show. The actors quickly transitioned to the second skit, which centered around Black Friday.

The third skit of the show was Thanksgiving themed, but the comedy remained political. The comedians acted like turkeys about to be slaughtered by their farmer. One of the actors portrayed “Butterball the Turkey,” and he was the first to introduce the line, “Thanks Obama.” Being the last of the group to be slaughtered, Butterball finds out that he will be the Presidential Pardon, and graciously screams “Thanks Obama.” The crowd erupted with laughter at this point of the show.

The final skit was by far the highlight of the night. The comedians portrayed a United States with Hillary Clinton as the winner of this week’s election. The joke revolved around Bill Clinton and more specifically him becoming the first “First Gentleman” of the United States. The scene began with Bill Clinton being introduced to the “First Lady Society.” The actors held no jokes back. The comedian portraying Michelle Obama within this “First Lady Society” thanks Bill Clinton saying: “Imagine if Melania was here, f*****g b***h.” The irony behind the skit made it more comical to the audience. There seemed to be a laugh or two every other line. The skit ended, with Bill Clinton waking up to Hillary Clinton smoking a cigarette and saying that it was all just a dream.

All in all, the show was a success. The cast seemed comfortable on stage and the crowd seemed to enjoy themselves, giving positive feedback throughout the whole show. After the show, comedian Savannah McMenemy explained her interest in comedy and said, “Coming into college, I wanted to join a comedy group. So I joined Sketched Out.” Thanks to McMenemey and the rest of the cast, the crowd was able to enjoy a stress-free show about politics; which was ironic given the nature of our recent election. 

Don’t miss Sketched Out’s next show, “Sketched Out Christmas Spectacular,” on Dec. 7.