‘Sex in the City’s’ Kristin Davis campaigns for inclusion

“Sex in the City” star Kristin Davis visited the UNH campus on Friday morning, Nov. 4 to campaign for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton alongside the UNH College Democrats.

14947519_10211608334429813_3057723684221153948_n-copy
Executive Editor Allison Bellucci and Davis take a photo post-interview.

With the election less than a week away, Davis has traveled around the country stressing the importance of getting to the polls and the millennial voice being key to the future progression of America. Davis said that it was upon witnessing the escalation of Donald Trump’s campaign into a “frightening level of redirect and angriness,” that she couldn’t sleep; she had to get out and make a difference.

“I couldn’t stand by and watch our country kind of devolve into this angry fighting, I just don’t think that is what America is about,” Davis said. “I feel for your generation, just kind of anxiety and fear that you are watching this.”

Inspired by her five-year-old daughter, Davis is particularly driven by the possibility of the country becoming an exclusive environment. Being passionate about inclusion, Davis said she’s disturbed that the Trump campaign is running on exclusion as its main topic.

“My 5-year-old is an African American, domestically adopted, and I believe in inclusion. I believe in the American dreams and ideals of a country where everyone has a chance,” Davis said. “Everyone is equal and everyone is included and part of the system and can fight for what we believe in and that is what [Clinton] stands for… It affects my daughter in a very real way, in a systemic way.”

Davis speaks with UNH student Madeline Lewis.

In response to hearing that some students do not plan on voting, Davis emphasized on the fact that the right to vote is unique to the country. After traveling the world, she said she realized that many countries do not have this privilege and exercising this right is vital to making sure America remains progressive and does not lose the human rights we have fought over for many years.

“We live in a country where everyone has a vote and it is the foundation of our democracy and it is real. It is not an idea, it is a very real thing and it changes your actual life,” Davis said. “Think [about] your actual life and listen to what the other campaign is saying they want to do. Let’s think about marriage equality, immediately it is going to go away. We fought for years for this; it cannot go away, it is a human right. We are talking about human rights.”

Davis campaigns for Hillary Clinton with UNH Democrats.

Although Davis said she believes it’s possible that many young people are fatigued by the intensity this unique election has brought, she encouraged students not to let that fatigue get in the way of voting.

“There are so many elements that would immediately change. And I think as a young person, that is important to think about. It might seem like it is unrelated, it’s not,” Davis said. “There are decisions that will be made and will effect you [young people] for the rest of your life.”

Follow Allison on Twitter @missalliejean