‘Cats sweep Northeast road trip

In their last non-conference test, the Wildcats were on the road as they faced Delaware State University and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. The ‘Cats dominated both matches as they went undefeated on the weekend.
The Wildcats, now 13-10 on the season, started off the weekend with a sweep of the Delaware State Hornets. UNH won the sets 25-14, 25-11 and 25-15. The Hornets fall to 0-23 on the year.
“It was great to have competitive play this weekend,” head coach Jill Hirschinger said. “The team played really well, and it was good to work on things against non-conference opponents.”
Freshman Kennedi Smith led the way, recording a match high nine kills. Senior Demi Muses and freshman Emily Tanski added 15 kills, while senior Keelin Severtson notched 20 assists.
Fourteen Wildcats were able to play in the match, which was a great opportunity to give some players more experience on the court.
Following the win, on Saturday, Oct. 22, the ‘Cats faced off against the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), and in a 3-1 set difference, the Wildcats won the match.
Muses led the charge for UNH as she tallied 20 kills and 14 digs which were both match highs. Freshman Hannah Petke added a career high 10 kills, and sophomore Gabri Olhava had 13 kills and four blocks in the win.
Each set was close as UNH won the first two sets 25-23 and 25-22. The Hawks responded with a 25-22 set three win. In the fourth set UNH stopped all hopes of a comeback and won the set 25-19.
The Wildcats rotated 11 players during the win.
“I was impressed with our depth all weekend,” Hirschinger commented.
Round two of conference play looms for the Wildcats as they take on Stony Brook and the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) in their last road test of the year.
“We are confident and excited for the second round,” Hirschinger said. “Our destiny is in our hands. If we sweep the second round, we’ll win the regular season and host the conference championships for the fourth year in a row.”
There’s no other way a team or coach can ask for the situation that has been presented for the Wildcats. If they win out their season, the ‘Cats would be rolling into conference championship play with momentum and have the home court advantage.
Hirschinger has mentioned that every moment on the court is important this late in the season and with the idea of clinching the one seed in the America East in the Wildcats’ head, there is little room for error.
Up next for the Wildcats is a match against Stony Brook, Friday, Oct. 28 at Stony Brook.