Letter to the Editor: ‘True representation’

‘True representation’
To the Editor of The New Hampshire,
UNH Lecturers United-AAUP wishes to state our unwavering support and encouragement to the UNHPA-UNH Professional Association.  Unionization, while at times a daunting task, is the best way for employees to achieve true representation and access to the labor protections that Americans so often take for granted.
Your organizing team and NEA affiliates are doing an outstanding job communicating with you and seeking input at all levels.  Their tireless efforts are to be commended, and we are confident that your goal of getting enough union cards signed will be reached in short order.  Despite some efforts to cloud the issues, your signed cards will simply ensure a fair election, supervised by the Public Employee Labor Relations Board.  We lecturers went through this same process just a couple of years ago (February 2014), and it was a great experience.  A chance to vote on unionization is what you deserve, too.
Two and a half years later, lecturers are so much better off than we were before we unionized.  Ask any lecturer about the gains we have made:  increased salaries, better leave benefits, a promotion schedule, enhanced job security, a process to address grievances and conflicts, etc.  Would anyone go back to days before unionizing?
Some people naturally fear losing ground when they unionize.  And some of these fears have been stoked by misinformation.  But remember, even now, in this early stage of the game, you are already better off than you were before.  Labor laws protect you even as you are deciding to unionize, and the benefits will only increase as you continue.  We will stand with you all the way.
In solidarity,
Sarah Hirsch,
President, on behalf of the
Executive Committee of UNH Lecturers United-AAUP