Wildcats gear up for playoff bout

On Saturday, the Wildcat lacrosse team dropped a crucial game to the UMBC Retrievers by a final score of 12-7. As a result of the loss, UNH needed help from other teams in conference to punch its ticket to the postseason. Fortunately, the ‘Cats got the result they wanted.
With the Vermont loss to Binghamton University, the Wildcats secured the No. 4 seed in the America East Championship tournament. They will play Stony Brook in the semifinal this weekend.
“I think the girls are excited about a, being in the playoffs, and b, playing Stony Brook again. I think they are ready to work hard and tweak a few things that we need to do for our game plan,” head coach Sarah Albrecht said. “Hopefully [we can] bring that energy to the game on Friday.”
Friday’s semifinal matchup will mark the second time this season the Seawolves and the Wildcats will match up. In the last contest, the Seawolves came away with a convincing 11-4 victory in New York. Despite the final score, the ‘Cats were able to keep the top-ranked offense to a minimum of four goals in the first half and the turnovers to six.
A Wildcat victory this weekend aside from a full team defensive effort, will likely depend on the performance of their senior captain and point-leader, Laura McHoul. McHoul’s 45 points this season has been a big contribution to the overall success of the team, especially in conference games as of late. McHoul was also nominated for the America East Fans Choice Player of the Year.
“She’s taken on different roles on the team in terms of being a ‘1v1-er ‘ or an assister and she’s really stepped into those roles,” Albrecht said. “We’re looking forward to seeing her play against Stony Brook and have a good game against them.”
After missing the playoffs last season, the Wildcats will return to the postseason once again. Albrecht believes the success was due to the team’s ability to unlock its potential at the right time, and carry that into the season.
“I think the team has had a lot of potential and it is just a matter of living up to that potential and finding it,” Albrecht said. “I think we were able to do that with some games this year and hopefully moving forward we can do that at a more consistent basis so I think we just put ourselves in a good position this year.”
It’s win or go home for UNH this weekend as the team returns to Stony Brook, N.Y. to take on the Seawolves in the America East semifinals. The game is set for Friday May 6 at 5 p.m. You can watch the matchup online at americaeast.tv