From the Editor’s Desk: Keep on Keepin’ on

suppose I should start off by introducing myself. Hello TNH reader, my name is Allison Bellucci and I am the new Executive Editor. Here at The New Hampshire we turn over the newspaper responsibilities to the new staff roughly a month before school ends each year. And, while that might seem like a crazy change to throw at us young journalists during one of the most stressful times of the year, on behalf of the staff, I can tell you with confidence that we are all passionate and dedicated to producing this paper.

However, my first “from the editor’s desk” letter is specifically directed to freshmen and first-year students. In the beginning of the year we had a message welcoming you to campus, and now I want to check in. I hope you all had a great year here in Durham, but I know there is also a chance you didn’t; I want you to know that it’s okay.

At the end of my freshman year, I wanted to transfer. I was looking at schools to apply to and couldn’t wait to go home for the summer. I came to UNH knowing nobody and although I made some great friends throughout the year, it didn’t feel like home. Looking back, I know that is a completely valid emotion to feel. If any of you are feeling this way, I want to personally ask you to stay.

Don’t transfer. It is impossible to make your mark at this school in one year. It is impossible to feel the same closeness with people you have just met, that you feel with your hometown friends. I didn’t meet one of my best friends until sophomore year and another until this year.

My biggest piece of advice is to define your passion. Now that you have been at UNH for an entire school year, think back to what you enjoyed most. Look into getting involved with clubs that pertain to what you’re interested in. Hate all of your classes? Consider switching your major before you sign up for new classes. To me, it’s all about loving what you do.

I started freshman year majoring in hospitality management and ended it as a journalism major. Joining The New Hampshire is the best thing I have done at this school. I found a career path that incorporated my passions, and got the chance to work with people who shared these passions. Now, Durham truly feels like home, and I promise it can feel that way for you too.

Look into clubs and classes that will make you happy and start contacting the leaders of those clubs. Being a student org. leader myself, I can tell you they would love to answer any questions you have. Keep in touch with the good friends you have made, and don’t feel bad about ditching people who don’t make you happy. The beauty of college is that it’s big and you don’t have to associate yourself with anyone you don’t like. Be friends with people who make you feel good.

Life is tough, but so are you. Power through and keep on keepin’ on.

Allison Bellucci

Executive Editor