Who Run The World? (UNH)

Who runs the world? Some might say the president of the United States, the United Nations, Wall Street bankers or even the mysterious “illuminati.” Beyonce´ makes her argument via the title and lyrics of her 2011 chart-topping pop song “Run The World (Girls).” But the recent accomplishments of some UNH alumnae suggest Queen B might have been on to something.

United States Air Force General Lori Robinson, who graduated from UNH in 1981 with a degree in English, was recently nominated to lead the U.S. Northern Command. If confirmed by the Senate, she would become the first woman in United States history to be the head of a combatant command. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out Ashlyn Correia’s front-page story on Gen. Robinson.

As a staff, The New Hampshire is tremendously proud of Gen. Robinson’s accomplishments and collectively feels that this type of achievement reflects well on our university, thanks to her courage, competence and success in the Air Force.

However, Robinson isn’t the only UNH alumna to be recognized for her hard work, talents and achievements in her respective field.

2014 UNH commencement speaker Jennifer Lee wrote and co-directed “Frozen,” which won the 2013 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. Winning an Academy Award is such an impressive feat and mark of accomplishment that is not easily done. Just look at how long it took Leonardo DiCaprio, a terrific actor, to win his first Oscar. What you may not know is that Lee graduated from UNH in 1992. Now that’s pretty cool. 

Current NBA columnist for ESPN.com and former Boston Globe sports reporter Jackie MacMullen graduated from UNH in 1982. According to UNH’s website, she has received recognition for her abilities and successes in her field, including national awards for investigative writing, feature writing and received the New England Women’s Leadership Award in 1997. She is also a regular on ESPN’s “Around The Horn.” Oh, and MacMullen could play ball, too.

She was a member of the Wildcats’ women’s basketball team while studying at UNH, and, according to the university’s website, MacMullen served as the team’s captain during her senior year. With her awards for journalism, leadership and athletic prowess, it’s no surprise she was inducted into the UNH Hall of Fame in 2001. 

If we had the physical space on page, I would write about the dozens, if not hundreds, of other UNH alumnae that have been recognized for their talent, ability and success that places them atop their respective fields.

Obviously, the question of “who runs the world?” does not have a definitive answer. However, Robinson, Lee and MacMullen have demonstrated a high level of success that should reassure all students, but especially women who will be graduating in May, that achieving success starts with a degree from UNH.

If I were a member of the UNH admissions committee, the successes of these alumnae are certainly something I would consider promoting to prospective students.

Let the success of these women, and all UNH alumni for that matter, soothe any anxiety you may be experiencing as a senior looking to accomplish your dreams and achieve success.

They may not actually “run the world,” but UNH alumni definitely have a lot going for them.