Fitbit users discuss product benefits, suggest changes

All over the world, individuals are changing their eating, sleeping, and exercise habits to become healthier. On any given day, you can find people tapping a wristband or syncing a Fitbit app to check-up on their daily goals.

Fitbit is a wireless wristband that sensors one’s lifestyle habits throughout the day. Since Eric Friedman and James Park created the device in 2007, over 30 million Fitbit trackers have been sold. The Fitbit has become a growing trend since 2013, and continues to grow every day.

With the creation of the Fitbit, Friedman and Park pioneered a whole new movement towards wearable technology.

The company has eight wireless wristband choices currently on the market that include unique features such as step counters, sleep trackers, heartbeat monitors, clocks, alarms and even caller ID.

“We design products and experiences that fit seamlessly into your life so you can achieve your health and fitness goals, whatever they may be,” reads Fitbit’s mission statement on the company website.

The trackers are especially convenient for college students, who are looking for that healthy balance within their busy schedule.

“Fitbit really makes me realize how active or not active I am and it makes me motivated to fit more activity in my day,” said English major Rachel Bento. “Every day I just want to beat my last record.”

The trend has even started reaching corporate businesses, which offer incentives for employees who use the trackers on a daily basis.

Liberty Mutual, a nationwide insurance company, offers a health and wellness program, in which employees who choose to use a Fitbit will receive monetary benefits at the end of each year for their healthy lifestyle efforts.

The brand has also created challenges for those who would like a competitive edge.

“My favorite feature is the stepping challenge,” said Bento. “There are so many fun ways to get you off of your feet and it makes fitness fun.”

While there are many successes related to Fitbit’s existence, individuals have also found faults in the practicality of the Fitbit. 

“I would like it to be a little more accurate,” said Ashley Grogan, assistant general manager for the Brewster Bulldogs Hockey Team. “Since you typically wear it on your wrist it tracks any movement, you don’t necessarily have to be walking for it to count it as a step. So if I happen to be sitting, yet moving my arms it counts it as steps.”

Some users have offered alternative solutions that would improve accuracy.

“I would make the bracelet on your ankle,” said Bento. “If it was on your ankle then everything will be accurate.”

Regardless of the flaws associated with the device, it has become one of the leading technologies around the world, surpassing the Apple Watch in popularity as a piece of wearable technology, according to TheStreet.