2016 commencement speaker announced

Diplomat Richard Haass was announced as the speaker for the class of 2016’s commencement ceremony Wednesday morning.

According to the UNH Media Relations’ press release, Haass received the 2013 Tipperary International Peace Award for his service as the president of the Council on Foreign Relations and has served as the council’s president for the last 13 years.

Additionally, the press release outlined Haass’ extensive political career in foreign relations. The release states, “Haass was director of policy planning for the Department of State where he served as principal adviser to Secretary of State Colin Powell. From 1989-1993 he was special assistant to President George H.W. Bush and senior director for Near East and South Asian affairs on the staff of the National Security Council. In 1991 he was awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal for his contributions to the development and articulation of U.S. policy during operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm.”

Haass did not graduate from the University of New Hampshire, but the release stated that he graduated from Oberlin College in Ohio and went on to be a Rhodes Scholar, earning a master’s and a PhD in international relations from Oxford University.