Durham, meet Lexie

The rich just got richer.

Lexie’s Joint is now open in Durham and students at UNH have yet another option available to them when it comes to dining downtown.

Now, we at The New Hampshire have no knowledge of Lexie’s Joint’s budget, but we think it would be wise for the management to keep the (dare we write) joint open late at night on the weekends.

UNH students are spoiled when it comes to dining. Aside from our award-winning dining halls and other restaurants available to us right in Durham, we also have nearby Dover and Portsmouth, which are abundant in great places to grab a bite.

However, many of Durham’s restaurants close around 9 p.m., if not much earlier in the afternoon. While that isn’t a problem during the week, it does not adequately satisfy the demand for food late at night on the weekends. Need evidence? Check out how mobbed Campus Convenience, Tacomano and DHOP are at night on the weekend.

As of right now, the options for late night food are limited to various forms of pizza, burritos, tacos, fried chicken dishes and that sort of thing. Although Campus Convenience, Tacomano and DHOP adequately satisfy our late-night cravings, adding a burger, French fry and milkshake place into Durham’s downtown dining repertoire greatly enhances the plethora of grub options.

It was an incredibly frugal business venture for Lexie’s Joint to tap into the market of student eaters in Durham. The food at Lexie’s offers students yet another option when it comes to dining, and we are certain it will maintain the level of popularity it saw over the weekend.

With that being said, staying open late on the weekends would be met by popular demand. UNH students, even while inebriated, are relatively well behaved. A business wouldn’t be entirely off the mark in fearing the havoc a mob of presumably drunken eaters might wreak on its property. But the businesses that do stay open late don’t seem to have too much trouble in controlling the crowd.

The New Hampshire is thrilled to have a restaurant like Lexie’s available in Durham, and we hope the restaurant decides to stay open late. We think it would be mutually beneficial to both the joint and its patrons.