UNH alumni duo brings funk to the seacoast

Two childhood friends and UNH graduates bring their own style of funk and their own version of a jig to iTunes. 

Jig and Funk is made up of two UNH alumni, Anthony Fiel and Elliot Tousely. The duo are currently based out of the Portsmouth and Rye area.

When asked about inspiration, Fiel said he is mostly influenced by Q-Tip of the group A Tribe Called Quest, Andre 3000, and James Brown. Tousley said he was mostly influenced by Jay Z, J. Cole, Dr. Dre, and Eminem.

While forming their group, they both created stage names. Tousely’s chosen name became Funk Tous, whereas Fiel’s chosen stage name became “Jiggy Tone.”

“Tony (Fiel) and I grew up in the same town so we knew of each other. We connected in high school because he rapped with some mutual friends. I wanted to rap too, so we started screwing around as a joke. Eventually we put money into it and took it more seriously,” recalled Tousley.

Tousley grew up in Keene and went to Keene High School, which is where he met Fiel. The duo began making music together in high school with their group The Cave Boys. After high school, Tousley found himself at UNH, pursuing a degree in communication and business administration. Tousley graduated from UNH in 2014.

Fiel is originally from Springfield, Massachusetts but moved to Keene. Upon graduating Keene High School, Fiel also found himself at UNH. Fiel studied recreation management and policy while pursing a minor in sports management. Fiel also graduated from UNH in 2014.

“At end of high school we wondered what we could do with it the group in college.  We handed out CDs and shot music video around campus,” Tousley said.

Tousley and Fiel have played many shows around New England at venues such as Bird’s Eye Lounge, The Thirsty Moose, and even Pumpkin Fest.

“Playing the Brick House in Dover back in November was the most memorable,” Fiel said. “We got back into the performing game, and packed the place. Everyone came out to show support. It was cool to look out and see everyone backing us.”

Fiel and Tousley both have fond memories of their time at UNH as they played quite a few shows while pursing their degrees.

“When we were freshman we got to play at the TKE [Tau Kappa Epsilon]  philanthropy in the Granite State Room. They put up a stage and sold tickets,” Tousley recalled. “It was cool to see people buy tickets and wait in line to see us.

After graduation, both Tousely and Fiel came to an agreement to disband their previous group and become collaborating solo artists. They now go by the name Jiggy Tone & Funk Tous, or more commonly referred to as Jig & Funk. Collectively, the duo has put out one album titled “Same Roots.”

“We are currently working on a mix tape called ‘Easily Amused.’” Fiel said. “It will be coming out in the next six months or so. Look out for videos for the singles on the album.”