By Tim Drugan-Eppich

Staff Writer

For the past 38 years, Durham has been home to the Evergreen Fair, a fair where crafts are shown off to members of the community.

From Thursday, December 3 until Saturday, December 5, the Memorial Union Building will be home to 50 artists that are gifted in the craft of crafts.  Everything from basket weaving to wood turning will be available to the public to browse, and possibly purchase.

The website for the event urges attendees to, “Discover delightful home accessories, original apparel, fine art, handmade musical instruments, one-of-a-kind jewelry and much more for every style and budget.”

The artists are from several surrounding states such as Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, but also some from Quebec.  And of course there will be some locals from New Hampshire.

“Every artist is a small business,” said Suzanne Connor, the director of Evergreen Fair for the past 18 years.  “And by shopping at Evergreen Fair, buyers are choosing to support their neighbors in the region.”

Connor said that she hopes the fair can bring people together, in the feeling of a tradition much older than the fair itself.

“The Shakers had a tradition to make their guests ‘kindly welcome,’” she said.  “That’s the feeling I hope Evergreen Fair visitors experience, whether they are serious collectors of fine craft or folks just starting to appreciate work made by hand.  I want our customers to be comfortable, unhurried and amazed.”

More information can be found at evergreenfair.net.