International Luncheon showcases 17 countries

By Hadley Barndollar

Staff Writer

The smell of warm spices filled the Huddleston Ballroom on Friday Nov. 6 as students awaited the start of the International Luncheon. Student volunteers from the international community, many of them hailing from Fairchild Hall, cooked food dishes from 17 different countries.

Countries represented at the luncheon included Cambodia, Russia, China, Thailand, Korea, Brazil, Egypt, India, Italy, United Arab Emirates, Netherlands, Ethiopia, Chile, Turkey, Armenia, Yemen and Nepal. Students were in charge of selecting and cooking their own dishes, as well as serving them to the public.

According to International Luncheon chairman Morgan Lynch, planning for the event began in September and cooking began nearly a week prior.

“This is a volunteer-run event by students from Fairchild Hall and others from the international community that come together to share that spirit,” Lynch said. “The point is to appreciate the community we have here, not many people know how many different cultures we represent.”

The luncheon was funded by the Student Activity Fee Committee. Food storage took place in Fairchild Hall and Holloway Commons in the days leading up.

“Watching and smelling my residents cook all week, it’s been killing me because I haven’t been able to taste test,” said Fairchild Hall Residence Assistant Jacob Moss prior to the event. “I’m excited to support them and get a taste of all of this delicious food.”

The luncheon was open to the public, serving at 11:30 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. A large number of students and community members gathered for the meal, representing the full spectrum of cultures.

“We have so much good food we can share,” Lynch said.12243641_10208433675345320_1303590218_n