Delta Xi Phi organizes ‘Bake Off’ in Strafford room

By Ethan Hogan

CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Amber Litterer serves Cecilia Martins dessert. Fifty percent of the proceeds from the event went to the American Cancer Society.

Lena Giguere of Delta Xi Phi organized a Bake Off at the MUB Strafford room on Tuesday night.

“Fifty percent of the proceeds from the event will go to the American Cancer society, and the other fifty percent will go to a charity organization of the winner’s choice,” Giguere said.

The competitors had an incentive to win because they would be able to contribute to a cause that they feel passionate about.

The competitors of the event were comprised of individuals or organizations on campus. Margo, Sigma Alpha, Slow Food, MOSAICO and a team called Chelsea and Sarah. Each team made its best desserts ranging from apple crisp to cookie Oreo brownie.

To enter the competition, teams donated $5. Anyone who was roaming the MUB was encouraged to taste the pastries and vote on them.

Of the deserts entered, some were more traditional while others had to be explained.

“It’s like a crème brulee without the brulee,” said Amber Litterer about her pumpkin caramel crème. Litterer was there with her best recipe to represent Sigma Alpha.

“We bring agriculture into the classroom,” said Litterer about Sigma Alpha’s goal.

If Litterer won, she would donate the money to Heifer International, an organization that donates useful livestock like cows and goats to families in impoverished nations around the world.

Student trickled in and happily tasted and judged the desserts in the name of a good cause.

Cherry Wu, a student who was eager to try all the desserts, said, “So far the apple crisp is my favorite,” adding, “I really like the gingerbread crumbs.”

“Yeah, and we love sweet stuff,” added Wu’s friend Gina Kim.

When asked if the desserts were better than her mother’s, Rachel Blattstein, a judge at the event explained, “Well, anything is better than my mom’s cooking.”

The desserts were eaten up quickly, and soon it was time to judge. Giguere, the event organizer, stepped up to the mic and reminded everyone to vote before the ballot box was closed. Students ate their desserts and socialized, cleansing their palate between each dessert with refreshments that were provided.

Finally it was announced: MOSAICO wins!

The Latino/Latina organization promotes the Hispanic culture and Heritage at UNH.

MOSAICO made chocolate cupcakes with green and pink frosting that held flags from various Hispanic nations. MOSAICO wasn’t at liberty to divulge what they called their secret receipt but were happy to state that they will be donating the money to Compas de Nicaragua. The organization raises money by showcasing the dances and heritage of their culture to help women and children get higher-level learning.

The fifth annual Delta Xi Phi Bake off was a small success and Giguere hopes that it will be even better next year.