UNH to offer new master’s degree in public policy

By Stephanie Mazejka

Contributing Writer

Beginning next fall, UNH will be offering a new master’s degree in public policy (MPP). For interested students, this program is currently accepting applications.

“A Master in Public Policy degree is a great degree if you want to do something to make change in the world,” said Michael Ettlinger, director of the Carsey School of Public Policy.

“It gives you the skills to be effective in the policymaking world whether that is in an advocacy organization or think tank, in Congress or a state legislature, in the White House, a government agency or the United Nations, or working in government relations for a private corporation or lobbying firm. Internationally or domestically, and to work on almost any issue, a quality MPP degree is very valuable credential,” Ettlinger said.

Students in the MPP will be taking classes in public and international policy, focusing on its aspects of analysis, strategy, communication and economics. They will spend time in Washington D.C., interning and  completing capstone project. Each student will also specialize in policy analysis or strategy and communication to become further professionalized in their area.

Although there are no prerequisites for the MPP, current UNH students who apply for an Accelerated Master’s degree can take up to three classes aimed toward their masters degree in their senior year, making the MPP more affordable and quicker to obtain than general master’s degrees. There are several simple paths to the MPP, and some can be finished in as little as 14 months (or even 12 months for Accelerated UNH undergraduate students) In addition, MPP students can even complete an additional Graduate Certificate in topics such as public health, analytics, and sustainability politics and policy, which can “double count” toward the MPP.

Upcoming information sessions pertaining to the MPP will be held Oct. 22 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and Nov. 2 from 12:30-1:30 p.m., in MUB Room 203, Nov. 5 from 12 – 1:00 p.m. in UNH Manchester Room P380, Nov. 10 from 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. in MUB Room 302, and Nov. 17 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in MUB Rooms 334/336. Students interested in working in any level of government, governmental organizations, businesses, research institutes and centers or foundations, or bringing transformative and life-changing policies to culmination, are welcome to join these sessions to learn about this thrilling and ever- changing field of study and bring whatever questions they may have.

“I am very excited about the program we’ve developed,” Ettlinger said. “There are good programs out there but I always have thought they didn’t all do a great job of preparing students to hit the ground running in the real world of public policy. Our program will do that. Public policy is incredibly important to the lives of everyone in your state, your country and the world. It is a very important profession and very rewarding to be in. We’ve developed a great program to prepare people to enter it.”