Fall 2015: Pumpkin Spice is here to stay

By Stephanie Mazejka

CONTRIBUTING WRITER

As the color of the leaves change color, so too do the menus of coffee shops all over New England.

Autumn is pumpkin season for many, and this is promoted through various pastries, desserts and most famously, lattes.

The Pumpkin Spice Latte or PSL, as it is so lovingly abbreviated, has quickly become the staple of chilly morning classes during the season. Even though the leaves have just started to lose their summer green color, the PSL has already started to reclaim its place as the most popular beverage of the season.

“It’s ordered every three drinks or so,” one Dunkin’ Donuts employee said.

It is easy to see why; all around campus, many people voiced their positive opinions of the PSL.

“I like it,” said Laura Spencer. “It’s like drinking a warm gingerbread cookie.”

“It’s not my favorite,” said another student, “but it’s good for the season.”

However, there are several students who do not think the PSL is worth their taste buds.

“It tastes nasty,” Meghan Van Hoose said bluntly, while many others agreed. To most, the amount of nutmeg in the PSL is too much, giving it a strong, earthy flavor that does not seem to belong in coffee or lattes.

“The first sip was great,” said Drew Verrier. “But then as I kept drinking it, it started to taste fruity.”

Shortly after stating his opinion, he threw out his pumpkin spice latte.

If you want to satisfy your pumpkin craving you do not need to look far; Holloway Commons serves a pumpkin spice coffee that, although not as well-done as a latte from Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks, is arguably satisfying for a quick and cheap fix. Zeke’s and Dunkin’s also offers their versions of the PSL.

Even if you do not like the taste of coffee, pumpkin is starting to appear in many other forms. While cookies and pies are common, pumpkin-flavored ice cream is slowly becoming more and more popular. Even our favorite foods are starting to join in on the pumpkin trend, with limited editions of Pringles, Pop-Tarts, Sam Adams, M&M’s, Coffee-Mate, Jell-O, and so much more cluttering the shelves of grocery stores everywhere.

Just as winter cannot be complete without a cup of hot chocolate or a peppermint latte, autumn needs its pumpkin spice. The season is known for its vibrant leaves, Halloween costumes and the smell of pumpkin wafting from the open doors of local coffee shops.