Why joining a fraternity or sorority isn't vital to the UNH experience

By ALLISON BELLUCCI

Managing Editor

Before I even stepped onto campus my freshman year, I knew I didn’t ever want to be in a sorority. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against fraternity and sorority life. I think it is a wonderful option for some people, but definitely not for me.

There’s a common misconception that you must join a fraternity or sorority in order to have a social life. I am here to tell you this is completely untrue. I have made a great group of friends here at UNH, and we never have trouble finding something on the weekends. Though I would have undoubtedly made other great friends if I had joined a sorority, I wouldn’t have found the girls I now call my best friends.

Another concern about not joining a sorority or fraternity is that you won’t have any activities to take part in during your free time. There are so many different activities, clubs and groups to become a part in at UNH that this should not be a concern. Your campus involvement is dependent on how much effort and time you want to put in. Although I am not in a sorority, I am a member of The New Hampshire, Her Campus UNH and the UNH Dance Company. I have met so many great people and made close friends in all of these activities.

Groups such as UNH Dance Company, The New Hampshire and Her Campus UNH have fun social activities similar to the ones sororities and fraternities hold. From events as elaborate as cocktails and socials to as small as dinner parties and movie nights, as long as you’re working with a fun group of people who you like to be around, you’ll end up finding a family.

From my experience, those who are in a fraternity or sorority identify strongly with their chapter. For me, I felt like joining a sorority would add a preconceived identity to me I did not want. I wanted to identify with my other interests in organizations I’m a part of. 

Personally, this package deal wasn’t something I wanted on my plate. I was interested in becoming super involved with clubs that pertained directly to my hobbies and passions. I love my life at UNH, and I couldn’t imagine it any other way.